Ubuntu VM slow SMB transfer speed to NAS

onefasteclipse

Jul 5, 2024
I have a Ubuntu 24.04 VM setup in Proxmox VE 8.2.4 on its own SSD and for some reason, file transfers to my local Truenas Scale SMB share are stuck at 55-60MB/s. I ran a Iperf3 test to the NAS and it caps out at 110MB/s so it's not a limitation of the network. This VM has 6 Ryzen 4600g cores set to Host and 12GB of ram. CPU is never more than 20-30% utilized, RAM is at 2.8/12GB, and the disk benchmarks at 537MB/s. It's currently using the Virtio drivers for the network card. If I run "python3 -m http.server" in the VM and then download from it on another machine, it serves at the full 110MB/s.

I have a Windows 10 VM setup on the same Proxmox node and it transfers at the full 110MB/s to the NAS. It seems maybe there is a limitation with the Ubuntu VM in Proxmox when copying to SMB shares. Any ideas of other things I can try?

Whats the underlying Proxmox Host OS file format?
Try switching file formats for the Ubuntu VM install, maybe RAW?

Whats the underlying Proxmox Host OS file format?
Try switching file formats for the Ubuntu VM install, maybe RAW?
I'm not sure I fully understand the question but Proxmox on the node and the Ubuntu VM were both installed using their respective .ISO files.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but Proxmox on the node and the Ubuntu VM were both installed using their respective .ISO files.
It‘s the question what kind of storage you use for your PVE and VMs. ZFS, Ext4 (LVM), etc.

It‘s the question what kind of storage you use for your PVE and VMs. ZFS, Ext4 (LVM), etc.
Got ya. The Ubuntu VM is using Ext4, Windows is NTFS. The disks mounted in PVE that these VMs are installed to are LVM. The format of both VMs are listed as RAW under the VM disks menu.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!