Ubuntu 16.04 noVNC

scott.ehas

Oct 5, 2017
I am having an issue with Ubuntu 16.04, and Proxmox's KVM noVNC console. I am not getting a login prompt, and it was working prior to doing updates. I have tried adding many flags to the grub boot prompt, and have had no luck on getting a prompt within the noVNC console. The VM's are utilizing Proxmox, but this issue is isolated to the recent updates on Ubuntu 16.04.

relay1:~ $ uname -r
4.4.0-96-generic

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text" or GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset" or GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttys0".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.52.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 3.52.37 PM.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 12
Which graphic driver did you set in your vm config? And are you on the right terminal, CRTL + ALT FN7?

Are you on the right terminal (noVNC has special keys for it)? How big are your VMs disk? Maybe there is a fsck running.

I've tried all 12x tty's by using the Ctrl-Alt-F1/F12 commands within the NoVNC console. The VM disks are about 50GB, and it has no fsck running at the time. The VM's that have been updated are all experiencing the same issue. I do have some older VM's that haven't had their updates pushed, and they receive the login prompt.

I am actually able to SSH into the VMs, but still require console access for emergency situations.

If there was a kernel update, try to boot with the previous one. Or try to boot with the nomodeset kernel command line parameter.

I've tried to load the previous kernel, and use nomodeset. Any other suggestions you can recommend?

It sounds to me more, that it is a ubuntu 16.04 specific problem, if you check what update you have run before then you might be able to find the corresponding package, that causes the troubles. Also you can try to set a different graphic driver in your vmid.conf.

Is there something in the logs on the VM, that it couldn't set screen resolution or similar? Also, obvious questions, did you try to resize the window or just hit enter? ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!