[TUTORIAL] Tutorial: Unprivileged LXCs - Mount CIFS shares

TheHellSite

Mar 4, 2020
Since unprivileged LXCs are not allowed to mount CIFS shares and priviliged LXCs are considered unsafe (for a reason) I was scraping my head around how to still have my NAS shares available in my LXCs, f.e. VOD_LXC (Jellyfin, Plex, ...).

The solution provided by the Proxmox Wiki would require many changes to the PVE host config, which I was not willing to do.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers#Using_local_directory_bind_mount_points

Thanks to the following source I was able to assemble a solution that should work for everyone in under 10 minutes.
https://bayton.org/docs/linux/lxd/mount-cifssmb-shares-rw-in-lxd-containers/

How does it work?
By default CIFS shares are mounted as user root(uid=0) and group root(gid=0) on the PVE host which makes them inaccessible to other users,groups and LXCs.
This is because UIDs/GIDs on the PVE host and LXC guests are both starting at 0. But a UID/GID=0 in an unprivileged LXC is acutally a UID/GID=100000 on the PVE host. See the above Proxmox Wiki link for more information to this.
@Jason Bayton's solution was to mount the share on the PVE host with the UID/GID of the LXC-User that is going to access the share. While this is working great for a single user it would not work for different LXCs with different users having different UIDs and GIDs. I mean it would work, but then you would have to create a single mount entry for your CIFS share for each UID/GID.

My solution is doing this slightly different and more effective I think.
You simply mount the CIFS share to the UID that belongs to the unprivileged LXC root user, which by default is always uid=100000.
But instead of also mounting it to the GID of the LXC root user, your are going to create a group in your LXC called lxc_cifs_shares with a gid=10000 which refers to gid=110000 on the PVE host.
PVE host (UID=100000/GID=110000) <--> unprivileged LXC (UID=0/GID=10000)

How to configure it

1. In the LXC (run commands as root user)

1. Create the group "lxc_shares" with GID=10000 in the LXC which will match the GID=110000 on the PVE host.
    groupadd -g 10000 lxc_shares
  2. Add the user(s) that need access to the CIFS share to the group "lxc_shares".
    f.e.: jellyfin, plex, ... (the username depends on the application)
    usermod -aG lxc_shares USERNAME
  3. Shutdown the LXC.
2. On the PVE host (run commands as root user)
  1. Create the mount point on the PVE host.
    mkdir -p /mnt/pve/lxc_shares/nas_rwx
  2. Add NAS CIFS share to /etc/fstab.
    _netdev Forces systemd to consider the mount unit a network mount.
    noauto,x-systemd.automount Automatically remounts the CIFS share in case the NAS went offline for some time.
    noatime Access timestamps are not updated when a file/folder is read.
    uid=100000,gid=110000 See part "How does it work?" paragraph two for explanation.
    dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770 Only that uid/gid will have rwx access to the share. (PVE root user always has rwx to everything.)
    !!! Adjust //NAS/nas/ in the middle of the command to match your CIFS hostname (or IP) //NAS/ and share /nas/. !!!
    !!! Adjust user=smb_username,pass=smb_password at the end of the command. !!!

Code:
    { echo '# Mount NAS CIFS share with rwx permissions for use in LXCs on demand (manually added)' ; echo '//NAS/nas/ /mnt/pve/lxc_shares/nas_rwx cifs _netdev,noauto,x-systemd.automount,noatime,uid=100000,gid=110000,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770,user=smb_username,pass=smb_password 0 0' ; } | tee -a /etc/fstab
  3. Mount the share on the PVE host.
    mount -a
  4. Add a bind mount of the share to the LXC config.
    !!! Adjust the LXC_ID at the end of the command. !!!
    Code:
    You can mount it in the LXC with read+write+execute (rwx) permissions.
    { echo 'mp0: /mnt/pve/lxc_shares/nas_rwx/,mp=/mnt/nas' ; } | tee -a /etc/pve/lxc/LXC_ID.conf

You can also mount it in the LXC with read-only (ro) permissions.
    { echo 'mp0: /mnt/pve/lxc_shares/nas_rwx/,mp=/mnt/nas,ro=1' ; } | tee -a /etc/pve/lxc/LXC_ID.conf
  5. Start the LXC.

Last edited:

argylesocks

Apr 3, 2022
Thanks for this post, extremely helpful!

One minor addition, adding ",shared=1" to the end of the bind mount line in /etc/pve/lxc/LXC_ID.conf will enable that container to be migrated across Proxmox nodes. It basically tells Proxmox to ignore the bind mounts, and without it will refuse to migrate. Of course if you don't have those CIFS mounts on the target node, I expect something would go poorly, but I didn't test that-- with the same CIFS mounts on every node it works perfectly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!