Tutorial - Helping post for upgrade from Promox 5 to Proxmox 6 on OVH.

Sep 6, 2018
Hello,

As i got some difficulty to make the upgrade from Proxmox 5 to 6 on a dedicated OVH server (using the standard OVH Proxmox v5 template), i post here how i was able to make it work for people having same problems.

All the upgrade went fine. I rebooted the server, but no more GUI, SSH... server was blocked. IMPI was not working, so i rebooted in rescue mode using "rescue64-pro".

In the rescue mode OHV, mount the filesystems:

zpool import -R /mnt rpool
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /run /mnt/run
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
modprobe efivars
chroot /mnt

And edit ZFS config:
nano /etc/default/zfs
to set ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP at value 4 (i.e.: ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP='4')
(taken from here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Tips_and_Tricks#Boot_fails_and_goes_into_busybox)
(in grub rootdelay was already set to 15, so i had no need to change it)

Get list of kernels:
dpkg --list|grep pve-kernel
In my case the last one was "pve-kernel-5.0.21-5-pve"
Run (replace kernel version by yours):
update-initramfs -k 5.0.21-5-pve -u
You can get an "No /etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync." message, i think this is normal, but i opened antoher post on it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...-do-we-must-do-a-pve-efiboot-tool-init.60475/)

Unmount all filesystems:

umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/run
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
zpool export rpool

On OVH manager, set boot to HD normal, and reboot the server.

Now it was booting great on Proxmox.

Hope it helps.

Dominic

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Mar 18, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience!

If you want to make this thread more visible, you can set the prefix of the thread to "Tutorial" by editing your post. It will then carry a symbol in the thread overview. Additionally, filtering for prefixes is possible.

hanru

Aug 26, 2017
I came across the exact problem when I was upgrading Proxmox from 5 to 6 on an OVH SoYouStart server. I can confirm the solution in the tutorial works like a charm.

Thank you Thomas for sharing this useful tutorial!

Reactions: Dominic

Error521

Mar 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem using this method on a SoYouStart E5-SAT-2-64 server. I installed the SYS Proxmox 5 ZFS template, upgraded to Proxmox 6 using official Proxmox guide step by step.

When I followed the process of Thomas P., I can't export my rpool using the last command :

Code:
root@rescue:/# zpool export rpool
cannot export 'rpool': pool is busy
Same result using the -f argument

Is this GRUB line normal? (by default in my grub file, rootdelay appears twice, this makes me doubt)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs rootdelay=10 vga=normal nomodeset rootdelay=15"

hanru

Aug 26, 2017
When I followed the process of Thomas P., I can't export my rpool using the last command :

Code:
root@rescue:/# zpool export rpool
cannot export 'rpool': pool is busy
Same result using the -f argument
Maybe because you're still in chroot?

Is this GRUB line normal? (by default in my grub file, rootdelay appears twice, this makes me doubt)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs rootdelay=10 vga=normal nomodeset rootdelay=15"
My setup has two entries of rootdelay too. Doesn't cause any problem.

Neox

Dec 12, 2018
Thanks for this TIPs, as COVID19 gives me some free time, and I have a Proxmox available, I done this test

I provide here my way to upgrade, in doing it BEFORE upgrade
  1. Edit ZFS config :
    nano /etc/default/zfs
    to set ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP at value from 0 to 4 (i.e.: ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP='4')
    I set mine to 5
  2. Upgrade initramfs for all kernel
    update-initramfs -u -k all
  3. You can get an "No /etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync." message, i think this is normal, but i opened antoher post on it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...-do-we-must-do-a-pve-efiboot-tool-init.60475/)

Now reboot your system once, then proceed to upgrade from v5 to v6 as usual
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

as Matteli asked below ( https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/t...romox-5-to-proxmox-6-on-ovh.60476/post-307321 ) when doing the upgrade from 5 to 6, system may ask if you wanna replace the /etc/default/zfs file by maintainer one.
Of course, choose to keep yours, to keep the delay to 4 (or 5).

As per today I haven't seen any other difference between both file but the delay we modified in step 1

Regards.
Johann

Last edited:

matteli

Apr 16, 2020
Thanks for this TIPs, as COVID19 gives me some free time, and I have a Proxmox available, I done this test

I provide here my way to upgrade, in doing it BEFORE upgrade
  1. Edit ZFS config :
    nano /etc/default/zfs
    to set ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP at value from 0 to 4 (i.e.: ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP='4')
    I set mine to 5
  2. Upgrade initramfs for all kernel
    update-initramfs -u -k all
  3. You can get an "No /etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync." message, i think this is normal, but i opened antoher post on it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...-do-we-must-do-a-pve-efiboot-tool-init.60475/)

Now reboot your system once, then proceed to upgrade from v5 to v6 as usual
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

Regards.
Johann
Just one thing. When you finally upgrade, don't install the package maintainer's version of the /etc/default/zfs file because you cancel the ZFS config.

Reactions: Neox

Neox

Dec 12, 2018
Just one thing. When you finally upgrade, don't install the package maintainer's version of the /etc/default/zfs file because you cancel the ZFS config.
Of course not, I keep my modified version as I only see this line has been modified.

greg

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks for sharing.
I just noticed that SoYouStart was now providing only a non-ZFS Proxmox 5 template. Does anyone has informations about that? will OVH abandon Proxmox?

Neox

Dec 12, 2018
Thanks for sharing.
I just noticed that SoYouStart was now providing only a non-ZFS Proxmox 5 template. Does anyone has informations about that? will OVH abandon Proxmox?
When I asked them earlier this year, they told me that hold on Proxmox v5 with ZFS due to some UEFI boot server issue.
But maybe they didn't know this "timeout" post.

freegate

Jan 6, 2016
A point for improvement

Before unmounting all filesystems: we must exit chroot mode.

Just type "exit" in the shell

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!