Trying to sort out permissions on media server

nomadmike

Oct 20, 2022
Thialand
Hi apologies if this has been asked already, I have setup proxmox on a mini PC I have created 4 containers

1 Plex
2 Qbittorrent
3 Sonarr, Radar
4 File Server

I have a 512Gb M.2 Drive all containers and Proxmox is installed on that, I have a second 1TB SSD, I have setup the file server and added the SSD as a media drive, I have created user and group tmike:media

I have created folders inside the shared drive movies, tvshows and torrent, I have set the permissions on the folders to 775 and set the owner as tmike:media

I have added the drive mount to the other containers , however as soon as a file is downloaded it is given root:root as the user and sonarr/radarr fail to import it to the relivant folder unless I go to the file server and set all the recursive permissions

These are my users for each container

FS
tmike:x:1000:100::/home/tmike:/bin/sh
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Sonarr Redarr
tmike:x:1000:1000:tmike,,,:/home/tmike:/bin/bash

plex
plex:x:999:999::/var/lib/plexmediaserver:/usr/sbin/nologin

qbit
tmike:x:1000:1000::/home/tmike:/bin/sh

If I use Privileged containers will this negate the problem, I am on a home network and all the containers are on the LAN so nothing is directly connected to the internet,
I read about user id mapping but over my head.

I could add tmike to the sudo group on all containers, can someone point me in the right direction so I don't have to keep changing permissions and owner to get it to work?

How have you got your proxmox media server to work?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!