Trouble installing Proxmox OS on server with RAID contoller.

Monst3rs

May 27, 2023
Hi all, So I once had proxmox working fine on my workstation. But after a move the RAID controller seemed to of broke. After getting a new one, I want to re-install it.

I have a server with a 6 x 4TB 7.2 SAS and 2 x 400GB SSD. These are connected to a Perc710 RAID controller (This has not been flashed).

In the RAID utility, all drives show healthy and I'm able to create VD's.

I first tried setting up a RAID 10 for the HDD's and a RAID 1 for the SSD's, however when booting up proxmox 7.4.1, it could not detect the drives.
I then tried setting each drive to RAID 0, which did work, I could now see the drives in proxmox, however when installing it gave errors when partitioning the drives.

I did a fast initialization on the drives in the RAID configuration utility so was hoping that would be enough to reset the partitions.

I was wondering if I could have any help on how I can get this to install the OS, I have no data on the drives so can wipe then completely, I don't 'need' to use the hardware raid, but seeing as it's there I might as well, I could also use the software raid but from what I understand I would need to flash the RAID controller.

Its just for a home lab server so doesn't need to be optimal settings, does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Edit:

It seems sometimes proxmox didn't load the driver, when it does it can detect the drives, however, it will always fail at the partitioning stage. It seems to show an error about GPT and valid MBR. I can't see the drives when using lsblk but can see them with gdisk/fdisk.

I believe it is an issue with the partitioning but unsure how to wipe them clean to let it do it's thing, I've tried initializing the disks in the raid configuration utility so they should be fresh. Really can't understand why it's no able to partition the drives. I'm going to try and install derbian then install proxmox over that see if I'm more successful that way.

Any help would be appreciated - even willing to pay a little to sort this, its been such a headache

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!