Trouble adding desktop environment in Proxmox 8

VirtualMoxy

Dec 18, 2023
Hi, I could use some guidance. I am setting up a workstation with proxmox 8 and kde plasma (replacing Windows 10 + VMware).
This system has a single Nvidia 3060 ti.

After installing proxmox, I set up kde plasma and ram into an issue where the desktop environment was a black screen with my cursor.

I tested gnome and cinnamon with the same results.

I tried installing Nvidia-driver, and ran into dependency issues. Then tried installing firmware-Linux-non-free, and discovered proxmox replaces it with pve-firmware, which was already up to date. I'm new to running a desktop environment on proxmox, and I am not sure where to go from here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Nvidia is generally a terrible choice for Linux. The nouveau people try but there are many incompatibilities because Nvidia does not release suitable information to write an open-source driver.

Did you install the appropriate drivers (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)? Just installing KDE may not bring that in. The Debian wiki has some info on how to install KDE on an already-set-up box and get all the proper dependencies:

https://wiki.debian.org/KDE

If you do have that driver, then I don't know. I guess the next step would be to try to install the proprietary nvidia drivers from their web site.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!