Tried to mirror boot disk with following steps - Help!

ZooKeeper

Aug 5, 2020
So I have sdd disk (working disk) which was used when I initially installed proxmox along with other disk as mirror. One of the disk failed which I am trying to replace with sde (new disk).

Here are command I ran so far. I want to make sure I am not forgetting anything as I collected all this command over few different forums.

Code:
sgdisk /dev/sdd -R /dev/sde
sgdisk --randomize-guids /dev/sde
pve-efiboot-tool format /dev/sde2 --force
pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/sde2

zpool attach rpool ata-KINGSTON_XXXXXXXXXXXX_5XXXXXXXX-part3 ata-KINGSTON_XXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXX-part3

Here is output of my zpool status afterward.

Screenshot from 2021-04-25 19-13-20.png

Hey, this procedure is explained in the admin guide: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_zfs_change_failed_dev

You can either use zpool replace of zpool attach as you did. The pool resilvered on April 11. So if that was when you did this, it looks okay. To check if the bootloader and BIOS settings work, you will need to shut down the node, unplug the old disk and see if it will boot from the replaced one only. Then shut it down again, plug in the disk again and everything should be fine.

@aaron Thanks for reply. So I didn't have choice to use zpool replace as I am maxed out at a moment with sata connection on my build. I had to take offline one of bad boot drive and then attach new one. I thought attach will only going to attach one of partition as you can see, I have three partition. I will shutdown and follow your steps to see if it boots in new one only by detaching old and working one. I will get back if any problem and then mark solved if everything works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!