Tried to add VLANs, lost entire cluster, how to do it right?

Reliant8275

Sep 4, 2023
In the process of putting together a plea for help as to how to get my cluster back together (copies of /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/corosync/corosync.conf for each of my 3 nodes) I found the mismatches and remembered to increment the config version up one. Now corosync is back. Ceph survived throughout. I have 3 nodes, each with a fast interface and a slow interface. All address are 192.168.x.x:

NodeFastSlow
pve1 (want to change name to alpha)vmbr1 from bond0 from eth1, eth2, eth3 (3x 2.5g LAG) 192.168.1.2vmbr0 from eth0 (2.5g running at 1gbe) at 192.168.3.2
betavmbr1 from enp40s0f1np1 (25g) on 192.168.1.41vmbr0 from enp3s0 (1gbe) at 192.168.1.5
gammaenp4s0f1np1 (25g) on 192.168.1.42vmbr0 from eno1 (1gbe) at 192.168.1.6
I added the 25g cards to try to make a 25gig ring network for ceph. The node with the four 2.5g ports is a router box that won't take a 25g card and will hopefully be replaced with full server soon. I'd consider putting the fast cards on their own VLAN but that's how I broke things to begin with. I also want to be able to access my ceph storage faster than 1 gigabit and I don't have any more ports. I could scrape together some old 10 gig cards and DACs to add those as a third link. Can I dual purpose the fast links as ceph and VM virtual NICs?

Whatever interface the VMs/CTs use, it has to have the same name across nodes so they can be migrated.

Is there a suggestion or best practice I can follow to get these two networks separated. Is there really any advantage to all this work right now or should I wait until I get the third node as a three NIC setup (Gbe management, SFP+ VM, SFP28 ceph)?

For context, I am using a Ubiquiti Hi-Capacity Aggregation switch for my VLANs. It seems pretty easy to set a port to a VLAN but then that seems to prevent me from running another virtual interface on the same port for a different VLAN. Documentation is scarce.

Is vmbr0 on beta and gamma really in 192.168.1.0/24 or is this a typo?
Not a typo, hence the problem. However, when I tried to put these on different VLANs the nodes would not connect to each other. Putting them back here makes everything at least limp along.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!