Tracking Center not showing every mail

Jul 28, 2022
Hello Friends,

our company is new to Proxmox and it's Gateway, but we a fairly impressed by what the software is able to do.

We have the PMG active since yesterday evening and first tests look good, but for some reason i couldn't see some emails that has been sent from mobile devices via ActiveSync. Others i could see. We did multiple tests and one mail i sent appeared in the tracking center and another email i sent didn't. The mails will be delivered, but they do not show up.

Here a little bit more insights about our config:

MX-Record pmg1.company.com Priority 10 TTL 5 min. and A-Record for pmg1.company.com leads to the public ip of the proxmox
MX-Record mail.company.com Priority 10 TTL 5 min. and A-Record for mail.company.com leads to public ip of our exchange server

Our Exchange is still reachable on 443 (ActiveSync). If i am not entirely stupid then the way for ActiveSync should be the following:

Smartphone -> Outlook or Gmail sends mails on 443 to Exchange -> Exchange Sendconnector forwards on 26 to PMG1 -> PMG1 sends out the mail.

Does someone have similar conditions and might have an idea where the cause is?

Thanks in advance and best regards!
Clu

MX-Record pmg1.company.com Priority 10 TTL 5 min. and A-Record for pmg1.company.com leads to the public ip of the proxmox
MX-Record mail.company.com Priority 10 TTL 5 min. and A-Record for mail.company.com leads to public ip of our exchange server
not sure if I understand that correctly:
* either you have 2 MX records with the same priority in your domain pointing to your PMG and your Exchange - then I expect about half of the mails to go to your PMG and the other half to your exchange (which explains why you don't see all of them in the tracking center of PMG)
* or you have an MX record for pmg1.company.com (which is unusual, since pmg usually does not receive mail directly but is rather the MX for your domain)

in any case - compare the 'Received' headers for a mail that does not show up in the tracking center with the headers of a mail that does show up - this usually should give you an idea where the mail was on its path

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!