Timeout on boot: old datastore is a dependency

eponymous_marmot

May 29, 2021
Hello,

Curious what I can do to solve this issue. I have been rooting around in PBS, attempting to get my first backups running.

Initially, I created a datastore using a single partition on a 6TB disk, named Store1. After walking away for awhile, I changed my mind, and decided to remove that datastore, opting to create a smaller one on a 2 TB partition on the same disk. I used
Code:
proxmox-backup-manager datastore remove Store1
to get rid of the first one, divided my disk into two partitions, and added a line in my /etc/fstab to automount the 2TB partition at
Code:
/backup/data

Now, whenever I reboot the machine, I'm stuck waiting on a dependency, specifically:
Code:
Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/$uuid, Dependency failed for Mount datatstore 'Store1' under 'mnt'datastore/Store1

The misspelling in my output, "datatstore", is intentional although I'm not sure why that is the case. It appears as though the system is still trying to mount the originally created datastore, but I can't seem to find where it's referenced in my configuration. Here is my fstab:

Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/pbs/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=5F89-11F3 /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
/dev/pbs/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
UUID=4aa5db57-fd99-4641-829e-069eaac22516       /backup/data    ext4    defaults  00

I've tried removing and re-adding my datastore numerous times, naming it "Store1" and otherwise, in my attempts to resolve this. Because of this, there is currently there is no datastore, and my datastore.cfg file is empty. I'm sure I can just reload the machine and start from scratch, but I'm trying to familiarize myself, so I thought I'd pose the question here. Thank you, and let me know if any further information would be helpful!

Last edited:
if you created the partition via the gui, we create a systemd-mount unit under /etc/systemd/system

(e.g. mnt-datastore-foo.mount)

you can disable that unit with 'systemctl disable <unit>'

or delete the file

we'll improve the docs in the near future and have planned to make the gui disk management a bit easier in regards to removing/reusing

if you created the partition via the gui, we create a systemd-mount unit under /etc/systemd/system

(e.g. mnt-datastore-foo.mount)

you can disable that unit with 'systemctl disable <unit>'

or delete the file

we'll improve the docs in the near future and have planned to make the gui disk management a bit easier in regards to removing/reusing
Thanks for the info, this worked a treat!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!