TIFU - Removed RBD / Feature request ?

AlexLup

Mar 19, 2018
TLDR; Forgot to set the Protected setting!
Can we get this by default or give us the option to set this by default on all VMs ?
Will KVM do multi-threaded RBDs in the future? I see some posts about it...

So in my quest of faster speeds inside the VMs with ceph as the underlying storage, I got a tip from the ceph mailings lists to create 2x RBD volumes and stripe them (ie. RAID 0) inside the VM.

I did this and voilá, got double the amount of transfer speeds while the VM was running and the angels started their triumphant symfonies and was very impressed by proxmox/KVM

So now I was to remove the RBD and begin anew, so I did, and removed the Acronis Trueimages in the process and Photos - so about 2TB worth of really important data. I then went into fullblown panic hehe.

So I would like a setting to always have protected VM's.....and check if you have any status on the multi-thread on KVM+RBD? :)

>>..and check if you have any status on the multi-thread on KVM+RBD?

Still not available in qemu 3.0 (not related to rbd, but to qemu block architecture).

The only way currently, is to enable iothread with multiple disk, then do raid0 inside your guest for examples.

Reactions: AlexLup
I have looked at qemu mailing list, qemu devs are still working on it, but I don't think it'll be ready until 2019. (They are working on it since 2014, need to change all layers of qemu block to make it thread safe, that's a lot of work).

Reactions: AlexLup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!