Thunderbolt Networking?

ualex

Aug 1, 2021
I am trying to get thunderbolt network working on Proxmox 8 with 2 Intel NUCs ... I only have partial success, with thunderbolt0 interface showing up.

Does anybody know how to make the interface visible in the GUI and/or automatic IP configuration? Currently nothing works for me.

I have this in /etc/network/interfaces on my NUC to QNAP link via thunderbolt, which might help:

Code:
iface thunderbolt0 inet manual

auto vmbr8
iface vmbr8 inet static
        address w.x.y.z/24
        bridge-ports thunderbolt0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#Thunderbolt3

Note: I think if you use the thunderbolt# interfaces names, the kernel auto loads the thunderbolt-net module. At least it has since PVE v7+.

Last edited:
I have this in /etc/network/interfaces on my NUC to QNAP link via thunderbolt, which might help:

Code:
iface thunderbolt0 inet manual

auto vmbr8
iface vmbr8 inet static
        address w.x.y.z/24
        bridge-ports thunderbolt0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#Thunderbolt3

Note: I think if you use the thunderbolt# interfaces names, the kernel auto loads the thunderbolt-net module. At least it has since PVE v7+.
I tried it, but the thunderbolt0 link does. not come "UP" and no IP address automatically assigned.

Other annoying behavior that sometimes the Thunderbolt link does not come up on my NUC8, and I only see in dmesg:
Code:
[    2.420057] ACPI: bus type thunderbolt registered
[    2.420293] thunderbolt 0000:04:00.0: error -EINVAL: cannot obtain PCI resources, aborting
[    2.420301] thunderbolt: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -22

A reboot is required to resolve this issue. Both systems are on the same Proxmox/kernel, only different hardware (NUC8 vs NUC13)

this is only hardware. a usb4 cable do give full speed on a skull but nothing on nuc9 . just 1 time after like 5-6 reboot. tb is not to be pass.

@Docop2 i am not what you mean with your reply? Can you also assign an IP via USB4?

I got a few issues:
1) assign an IP address when plugging in the thunderbolt cable (using thunderbolt-net)
2) flaky behavior, with the "cannot obtain PCI resources, aborting" error message

Issue 1 I resolved using udev. I created "/etc/udev/rules.d/10-thunderbolt0.rules" with content:
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL=="thunderbolt0", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/pve-thunderbolt0.sh"

The script I created contains the following:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/ip link set thunderbolt0 up
/usr/sbin/ip address add 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 dev thunderbolt0

Reactions: scyto
2) flaky behavior, with the "cannot obtain PCI resources, aborting" error message
Are you seeing this in syslog or somewhere else.
I haven't see this at all during the testing i have done today, but i can go looking to see if it's common and also on my system, if that would help?

@scyto I need to check where I seen it. I got a PiKVM connected to all my NUCs, so it could be the console too.

I also need to note I only seen it on my NUC8i5, not on the NUC13i3. The behavior when I see it, the thunderbolt0 device does *not* show up ever, a reboot is required. Thus if you always see the NUC, then you do not have the same problem as I noticed (which is good ;-)).

Reactions: scyto
instead of using /usr/sbin/ip link set <IFACE> up if you switch to using /usr/sbin/ifup <IFACE> - this (seems) to have the advantage of applying whatever is /etc/network/interfaces and removes the need to set the IP in the script

Reactions: ualex

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!