Thunderbold usable for expansion pci-e ?

Docop2

Nov 20, 2021
Hi
I would like to get some info for usage of the Thunderbolt 3 port working properly with Proxmox. I read as like ver.7.0 did not support tb passthrough.. i did confirm a 300$ TB3 dock got glitchy. While i was able to pass to a vm, the gfx section never get on, only the nic and few vm detect the audio. So i was looking at expansion unit as to put hard drive in it, sas card or eth nic.. Are they going to work fine and if we turn off the vm, is the device get offline and not possible to re-open before a full reboot ?

And using external enclosure, like egpu case to fit another pci-e card : any working solution ? Some report TB3 10gb box unit like sonnet that get detected, but have to install driver and got kernel issues. So putting a network card into an enclosure with 1pcie slot, instead of gaming gfx card.. Will it might be simpler or better..

Thanks for hints

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!