Three windows (small) gamers on proxmox?

AlbertFrench

Dec 14, 2017
Hello,
I am french, so perhaps (certainly ?) my english is not really good for you, sorry....

I am father of 3 little kids. Soon, they'll need a computer for small games and "youtube" and ...

So, I don't want to install three hardwares in three rooms. I prefere install one keyboard, one mouse, one screen and one raspberry. Next, I'll install proxmox in a server with 3 graphic cards and gigabit lan. With GPU Passthrough, I think I can build this kind of things.

So the question is, witch processor is needed to have a correct working machine with 3 "windows 7" or "windows 10" and 3 dedicated GC?
The next question, and perhaps the first, is: does proxmox is a good distribution to build this kind of machine?
Thank's a lot for response.

Hello,
I am french, so perhaps (certainly ?) my english is not really good for you, sorry....

I am father of 3 little kids. Soon, they'll need a computer for small games and "youtube" and ...
Hi,
if you like your kids, give them linux and not windows... ;)
So, I don't want to install three hardwares in three rooms. I prefere install one keyboard, one mouse, one screen and one raspberry. Next, I'll install proxmox in a server with 3 graphic cards and gigabit lan. With GPU Passthrough, I think I can build this kind of things.
I'm not an VDI expert, but why 3 graphic cards with path through? If the client are in a different room with raspberrys you aren't able to use the graca... the video output run with spice.
So the question is, witch processor is needed to have a correct working machine with 3 "windows 7" or "windows 10" and 3 dedicated GC?
The next question, and perhaps the first, is: does proxmox is a good distribution to build this kind of machine?
Thank's a lot for response.
The cpu-usage depends on the clients...
But normaly the bottleneck in virtualisation is first IO (fast reliable SSDs!), second RAM and third cpu-power.

If you choose an good ryzen I ecpect you have enough cpu-power.

Udo

Hi,

I don't know what you mean whith little gaming?
But i think this is what you are searching.
http://moonlight-stream.com/
As Udo saied the CPU is not the problem.
More it is the PCIe lanes 3 GC need min 3x8 lanes total 24.
So you can only use a good Ryzen MoBo or the enthusiast version of AMD Threadripper or Intel SkylakeX

Hello.
First, I want to thank all of you for responses (<- wouha, is that a good english?)
@wolfgang : Thanks for this new app. I understand it's the client side. It's probably the best solution for raspberry. But, for the server side, is proxmox a potential solution?

@udo : What's graca (or perhaps I don't understand at all th sentence)? Anyway, for SSD, I'd like install a MVMe one because it's the fastest SSD. For RAM, I'll install the fastest (or near) than I can install on the choosen MOBO. For proc, it's the last question...

little games for us its somethings like "production lines", "LS2015" perhaps something more heavy with load like "battlefield 4". Now, the watch youtube and play with some games develop only for kids.

The goal of GPU Passthrough is to load the serveur to generate screen and send this to raspberry (witch is really not a heavy load!)

See you!

battlefield 4
A little gaming :)
With this requirements you need moonlight.
Moonlight is the open source version of NVIDIA shield and the calculation is done on the PC (VM) on a NVIDIA GPU.
The raspberry would only encode the video stream.

I have never test a setup with more than 1 GPU and would say you will run in bottlenecks.

Ok for the bottlenecks.
So, the question is where is the bottleneck? Is it the gpu or the CPU?
Ok for moonlight but what is the advantage of moonlight against other technology like remote desk windows?

Best regards

Hi joshin.
Yes, it's another problem. Is this build better in perf than 3 less powerfull configurations...

Hi joshin.
Yes, it's another problem. Is this build better in perf than 3 less powerfull configurations...

This configuration will give you and three little kids headache time to time,
Why not Xbox 1X console just for games? it has multiplayer capabilities. and keep the raspberry pi for education purpose.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!