This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support)

Maybe it is a good idea to implement a message before or during installation of proxmox if your processor is supporting KVM (Full virtualisation) or not.

Citrix Xenserver is reporting this before you are going to install it. It is certainly a nice feature to have. Saddly enough many BIOSes doesn't have the option to enable the virtualisation technology. And not all firms respons to bring out a new bios with this option enabled.

Before buying any CPU chip (atleast Intel), please verify both - CPU features sheet and CPU specs sheet.
For eg., the Intel E5405 CPU is listed as having VT capability in the feature link (only some CPU feature links have a check specs link). But in the specs link, we find that only one Ordering Code# (AT80574KJ041N) has this feature.
Scroll down to the Ordering & Sampling Information para.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33079

Last edited:
The motherboard specs do not show any support for Virtualization.

The manual (2.4MB) too states:

Built upon the functionality and the capability of the 5000P chipset, the X7DBR-3/ X7DBR-E motherboard provides the performance and feature set required for dual processor-based servers with configuration options optimized for communications, presentation, storage, computation or database applications. The 5000P chipset supports a single or dual Dempsey 64-bit dual core processor(s) with front side bus speeds of up to 1.333 GHz. The chipset consists of the 5000P Memory Controller Hub (MCH), the Enterprise South Bridge 2 (ESB2), and the I/O subsystem (PXH-V).

The 5000P MCH chipset is designed for symmetric multiprocessing across two independent front side bus interfaces. Each front side bus uses a 64-bit wide, 1333 MHz data bus that transfers data at 10.7 GB/sec. The MCH chipset connects up to 8 Fully Buffered DIMM modules, providing up to 32 GB of DDR2 FBD ECC memory.
The MCH chipset also provides three x8 PCI-Express interface to the ESB2. In addition, the 5000P chipset offers a wide range of RAS features, including memory interface ECC, x4/x8 Single Device Data Correction, CRC, parity protection, memory mirroring and memory sparing.

but in the mother board manual (Supero X7DBR-3, Supero X7DBR-E) it says

"Intel <R> Virtualization Technology (*Available when supported by
the CPU.)
Select Enabled to use the feature of Virtualization Technology to allow one platform
to run multiple operating systems and applications in independent partitions, creating
multiple "virtual" systems in one physical computer. The options are Enabled and
Disabled. (*Note: If there is any change to this setting, you will need to power off
and restart the system for the change to take effect.) Please refer to Intel’s web
site for detailed information."

Sorry for the long delay getting back to this thread. Just wanted to follow up in case anyone else runs into this problem. I'm the OP and once I upgraded the BIOS on my Supermicro server, I was then able to enable virtualization and got the vmx flag. So in my case, it was just a matter of updating bios.

Your cpuflags lacks "vmx" which means as far as Linux can tell, "Intel Hyper-V" is disabled. Best guess is your BIOS isn't setting it.

Hello i am working with proxmox and having the same problem reported but my server shows that indeed has vmx, what else can be the problem?
Thank you very much for your time and if you have any suggestion, please let me know
Best regards
Yelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello
First thank you very much for your reply, this is the command exit that you told me to do
proxmox:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.5-5 (pve-manager/1.5/4627)
running kernel: 2.6.18-2-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.5-5
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-11
pve-firmware: 1.0-3
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-8
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve8
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-5
proxmox:~#
Best Regards
Yelson

That looks good - I have no idea why this does not work. Our code just looks for the vmx flag in /proc/cpuinfo.

Hello,
I have ASUS P7P55D PRO P55 S/L DDR3 SLI LGA1156 and İNTEL i5-750 Quad-Core 2,66 8MB BOX LGA1156 desktop pc with xp 32bit installed. And I have Vmware Workstation installed on xp. I installed proxmox into Vmware workstation with Virtualization Engine set to Intel VT-x enabled. But I am also getting This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support).

I updated bios and search for Intel VT support and both CPU and Mother board supports it.
What do you think I can not use KVM with proxmox? Could it be possible because of Vmware?

Thanks

as vmware workstation already "consumes" VT, its not available for guests.

pls do not ask new question in an existing thread, see the subject!

=> open a new thread, but before use the search function of the forum, this topic is already discussed.

Hello,
I have ASUS P7P55D PRO P55 S/L DDR3 SLI LGA1156 and İNTEL i5-750 Quad-Core 2,66 8MB BOX LGA1156 desktop pc with xp 32bit installed. And I have Vmware Workstation installed on xp. I installed proxmox into Vmware workstation with Virtualization Engine set to Intel VT-x enabled. But I am also getting This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support).

I updated bios and search for Intel VT support and both CPU and Mother board supports it.
What do you think I can not use KVM with proxmox? Could it be possible because of Vmware?

Thanks
VMWare workstation doesn't require either AMD-V or Intel-VT support to work, although I think newer versions of them can take advantage of it if it exists.

If you are installing Proxmox, before that you go into and take a good look at all of your BIOS settings, because even though your hardware might "support" Intel-VT, it may not have it enabled by default, and you will have to change that setting, and save the changes.

Also, since you can't run Windows XP with or without VMWare on on the same system that you are installing Proxmox on, you won't have to worry about them conflicting; installing Proxmox will wipe the hard drive -- better grab a spare hard drive you can stand to have erased if you wish to test if your hardware configuration will support it, and then try it with a safety belt on -- you can always shut down, change back to your old hard drive and get back into Windows XP with all of your programs intact, if you need to.

VMWare workstation doesn't require either AMD-V or Intel-VT support to work, although I think newer versions of them can take advantage of it if it exists.

If you are installing Proxmox, before that you go into and take a good look at all of your BIOS settings, because even though your hardware might "support" Intel-VT, it may not have it enabled by default, and you will have to change that setting, and save the changes.

Also, since you can't run Windows XP with or without VMWare on on the same system that you are installing Proxmox on, you won't have to worry about them conflicting; installing Proxmox will wipe the hard drive -- better grab a spare hard drive you can stand to have erased if you wish to test if your hardware configuration will support it, and then try it with a safety belt on -- you can always shut down, change back to your old hard drive and get back into Windows XP with all of your programs intact, if you need to.

Well there is no option in Vmware Wordkstation 7.1.0.build-26024 (you think Vmware Server might have it).
Well thats what I did. I build a new desktop pc and installed 4 OS and works fantastic. Very fast but not sure about staility yet. I willl use Proxmox on a hosting envireoment and would be happy to hear others experiences.

Hi All,

I have the same problem with the same chip http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33079

Code:
proxmox-1:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep vmx
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
proxmox-1:~#

I originally installed proxmox on a powerful little desktop,
I migrated my physical servers to VMs on the little desktop, mostly using openvz but with a couple of kvms too.

I then installed proxmox on my servers created a cluster and migrated my vm from the desktop to the servers.
Now here is the thing, from the cpuinfo above you can see vmx flags are there.
The KVM module is loaded according to lsmod.
I am able to startup the KVM virtual machines on the the server, however when going to the create vm tab I get
Attention: KVM module not loaded. Maybe you need to enable Intel VT / AMD-V support in the BIOS.

therefore I believe this to be a bug on the frontend as the module is clearly loaded :)

ThanksScreen shot 2010-09-15 at 10.57.55 AM.pngScreen shot 2010-09-15 at 10.57.08 AM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!