This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support)

can you start/create KVM guest on the commandline?

Actually this is strange...

I am able to start the kvm from command line but /dev/kvm has not been created so I guess it's just running the qemu machine without kvm extenstion?
Can create and start from the command line, start and stop from the frontend but no create

Thanks

:)

Code:
proxmox-1:~# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm                   213288  0 
proxmox-1:~# ls /dev/kvm
ls: cannot access /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
proxmox-1:~# qm start 109
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
proxmox-1:~# qm start 109
VM 109 already running - start failed
proxmox-1:~#

Code:
proxmox-1:~# qm create 100 --memory 256 --kvm yes --ide0 4 --vlan0 e1000
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw', fmt=raw size=4294967296 

Code:
proxmox-1:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-3-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-14
pve-kernel-2.6.32-3-pve: 2.6.32-14
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-7
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

just to add my experience here: in 99 % of all my support cases its solved by a bios upgrade, enabling VT in the bios and by powering off the server (not just reboot).

I'm using 2 x Intel E5405 on Intel S5000VSA board with 8GB of memory. I have configured two VM @1 socket, 2 cores, 2GB memory and Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition as Guest OS. But sometimes Proxmox VE hang suddenly with CPU synchronization error.

I know this thread originated quite some time ago, but I am getting a similar issue also.

I install proxmox on my server (bare metal). Worked fine.

Then removed the boot disk. Added a new clean disk. Installed OS and then installed proxmox as a vm using Vmware.
Still worked just fine, except in the vm I get this msg, "This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support)"

Same physical machine. One was bare metal install and one was as a vm.

Any ideas?

-Todd

Yup... your VM does not export the Intel-VT or AMD-V part of the CPU... I don't think that's possible in any VM system. So it'll never work like that.

---Guy

Yup... your VM does not export the Intel-VT or AMD-V part of the CPU... I don't think that's possible in any VM system. So it'll never work like that.
---Guy

Ok, thanks for the info. Then I won't spend any more time trying to make it work. At least the OpenVZ works...:D

-Todd

Ok, thanks for the info. Then I won't spend any more time trying to make it work. At least the OpenVZ works...:D

-Todd

JFI, If you are using Vmware ESX5 or workstation 8 then you can pass VTx or AMDx through to the VM that you created.

My problem is that I cant get Proxmox to do this on an Intel processor

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!