Think i lost all my DATA...

Bardock

Nov 6, 2019
Hello,
i am also new at Proxmox and virtualization generally.
I have a home PC with Proxmox installed on a SSD Samsung 860 500G.
Also a VM with PfSense(ID:100) and one with Ubuntu(ID:101) Desktop edition for general downloading and as Samba Server.
The host drive is new, the previews one died and i had to install everything from ground zero.
I have also 5 HDDs with my files that i have all my buisness and life in.
Those drives was mounted on Ubuntu VM so i can share them.I had all my data in,mounted and checked after install all good.
But after the installation of vmware tools(open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop) the Ubuntu enchoutered an internal error and couldn't boot-up.
Thought easy desesion, i can remove the vm and start it all over but after the restart of the pve all the drives seems to be empty.
Is there a was to get my files?
Also there is an message that i get from the Proxmox every now and then and i am not sure the reference of it.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Wipted Disks.jpg
    Wipted Disks.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Random-error.jpg
    Random-error.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi,

Proxmox VE only erase images with the naming convention of vm-<vmid>-disk-<NO>
So if you have attached the disk directly to the VM they will not be erased by Proxmox VE.
From the Log, it looks like you got a problem with a disk. So the LV information can't be 100% trusted.
Try do check all SATA cable and the disks.

But after the installation of vmware tools(open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop)
Proxmox has nothing to do with VMWare, so these tools does not work.
What this tool does I don't know or if they can harm the infrastructure.

I think i found a way to restore the data.
ReclaiMe File Recovery is doing deep scanning and it shows my files :D
I haven't tried to claim them yet but i think that it would be easy from here on.
I am not sure what caused that problem( the disks to be shown as full wipped ).
For the second problem( error screen ) i will buy new sata cables to be sure.
I will keep you updated and if all goes well, i will mark this thread as "Solved"

After all this time i found out what was the problem.
For the first part (disks), vmware tools messed up with the file format of the drives and i had to deep scan the drives to take the data back.
For the second part of the problem, i changed cables, checked the drives and all was fine, the problem was the motherboard.
So i replaced the hardware and now setup everything from the start.
Now it seems that everything works good.
Thank you very much for the support.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!