Thin Provisioning non-bare-metal

MK.Persia

Oct 15, 2016
Hi,
(sorry for my bad English)
I'm going to install proxmox on a dedicated server and because of some limitation bare-metal installation isn't an option :(. The question is how can I enable thin provisioning when I install using Debian? Is it OK to just create dev/pve/data as thinLVM and magically everything works?
I ask this because I should mount thinLVM dev/pve/data in /var/lib/vz and it's something that bare-metal installation doesn't.
Any ideas?

Thanks!:)

You can create and use any thin pool you want, and you can create a thin-provisioned LV on it and mount that on /var/lib/vz. If you want, you can follow the PVE naming scheme, but you don't have to. It is advisable though if you want to run a cluster and have other nodes which are installed with the iso installer. You need to name the /var/lib/vz directory storage "local", because it is used as default in some places.

Beware of overprovisioning, especially when defining multiple storage on a single thin pool (it's easier to lose track of used space this way).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!