There is now a limit # of virtio-devices/drives?

>>Hello spirit.Can you provide a little more information on how this can be achieved? Can it be achieved today? I'm assuming that this would work with SAS drives because of the SCSI relationship but can you provide a few more details on how this would >>function? Thanks.

virtio-scsi are like sas drives, they use a controller which can handle 256 drive.

virtio-blk, use 1 controller for 1 disk, so you are limited by virtual pci slots of the qemu machines.

you can edit
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm, and change MAX_SCSI_DISKS to 512.

(then restart pvedaemon service).

It should be enough.

This is great information !

This is my first post and I registered just to make my point.

I have a couple of storage servers with 32 disk slots and the purpose is to build dedicated storage servers but have Proxmox just to monitor the storage vm and be able to upgrade the storage os and test the new os with the storage pool (zfs)

I have used vmware in the past where one can give the vm more scsi cards to be able to use more disks or spread them to multiple cards..

I was quite surprised that Proxmox is limiting the number of exposed scsi disk to only 14 and the reason especially. (Why would anyone want more?)

I found the information very useful since my project relied on a way to use my 28 disks in a big pool (exposed to one vm)

However, the Web gui doesn't show more than the first 5 disks but i gues that is because why would anyone want to see all of them..

I hope the limits will be risen soon
The gui only shows like 6 of the total 26 added and I can remove the visible ones from the gui but the rest does not appear even after a reboot of the proxmox os

I am happy things appear to work but missing them in the gui is confusing

/Helle.

After some more test...

The gui shows up to 16 scsi-disks if i name them from scsi0-15.
Disks with higher id will not be presented visually but will still be available to the VM

Anyone knows where to change the limit to allow the gui to show all scsi disks ?

Thanks

To be more clear.
I will create a huge zfs pool but will not use Proxmox as the owner of the pool. Dedicated VM will own all disks and the pool.

As of now, the pool is successfully created and things seems OK, except Proxmox not showing the disks assigned to the VM
qm config shows them

/Helle

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!