Testing proxmox in laptop with Desktop Manager (xfce) is possible?

mrE

Renowned Member
Apr 21, 2014
Greetings,

I want to learn/practice more about Proxmox using a laptop (Lenovo) with not a lot of resources:
1 SSD of 240GB, 4 GB RAM

I want to install Proxmox and a light DE like XFCE, so I can work with one or two VMs running (not at same time).
Then I want to practice the backup and restore VMs process and many other tasks needed to learn and practice asap (for my own peace of mind) in Proxmox.

And I wonder if if exists some tutorial & info to accomplish.

Thanks!

hi,

it should be possible, but you might have problems with the ip address if it's gonna be automatic. i suggest you use a static ip if possible, otherwise you'll probably have to edit the /etc/hosts and similar files everytime your ip changes

Reactions: mrE
hi,
it should be possible, but you might have problems with the ip address if it's gonna be automatic. i suggest you use a static ip if possible, otherwise you'll probably have to edit the /etc/hosts and similar files everytime your ip changes
Good catch, at work I use a segment as 192.168.22.0/24 but at home I only use the segment of the cable modem 192.168.1.0/24

The laptop have 2 network interfaces (lan and wireless); I'll try to create the* right bridges, so I can go with the laptop to both places.
Thank you

Last edited:
you're welcome.

another piece of advice is to stay away from clustering and stick with local storages maybe, makes the whole setup a lot more easier to move around if that's a necessary thing.

Reactions: mrE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!