termproxy error "/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/node1 --perm Sys.Console -- /usr/bin/pveceph install --version quincy"

interdev

Jan 1, 2023
Hello,
i have a 3 nodes proxmox cluster, i got the following error when trying to install ceph from the gui or when trying to access a container console
Code:
failed waiting for client: timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/node1 --perm Sys.Console -- /usr/bin/pveceph install --version quincy' failed: exit code 1

can someone explain me what /usr/bin/termproxy does exactly and how to investigate this error

Thanks

Hello,
i have a 3 nodes proxmox cluster, i got the following error when trying to install ceph from the gui or when trying to access a container console
Code:
failed waiting for client: timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/node1 --perm Sys.Console -- /usr/bin/pveceph install --version quincy' failed: exit code 1

can someone explain me what /usr/bin/termproxy does exactly and how to investigate this error

Thanks
I just had this just before my nfs connection was under heavy load. but cant find the relation

anything custom about your setup (e.g., a reverse proxy in front)? are you attempting to access the console/ceph installer while being connect to the node where the action is supposed to happen, or are you connecting using a different node in your cluster?

anything custom about your setup (e.g., a reverse proxy in front)? are you attempting to access the console/ceph installer while being connect to the node where the action is supposed to happen, or are you connecting using a different node in your cluster?
server is a stand alone with no cluster and access was from browser. it is a brand new install with only 5 vms and a simple nfs storage. no ceph or proxy in front.

the only particular thing that I can think of is that I was working locally on the LAN and then from home using openvpn with the same proxmox session. But I was able to work for sometime remotely. Problem ocurred and proxmox became unavailable (to admin) for 5 min until that error came into the console log and everthing became normal again.

only thing I noticed after that is that on a backup job is that Proxmox backups vm but containers generates an error. but let me post that on a different forum thread so we dont mix things

that sounds like maybe your VPN interfered somehow with the connection to termproxy. termproxy is the component responsible for handling connections to shell/console parts of PVE (host/guest).

server is a stand alone with no cluster and access was from browser. it is a brand new install with only 5 vms and a simple nfs storage. no ceph or proxy in front.

the only particular thing that I can think of is that I was working locally on the LAN and then from home using openvpn with the same proxmox session. But I was able to work for sometime remotely. Problem ocurred and proxmox became unavailable (to admin) for 5 min until that error came into the console log and everthing became normal again.

only thing I noticed after that is that on a backup job is that Proxmox backups vm but containers generates an error. but let me post that on a different forum thread so we dont mix things

I have exactly the same problem.
But I'm pretty sure OpenVPN isn't the cause; I have several sites, which I manage via VPN, but the problem does not occur in those places... the only difference is that the problematic server is not part of any cluster... however I have made some IP or hostname change (or both) at some point in the past. Thus, I think the problem is related to the certificates; By the way, is there a way to completely reset this? (pvecm updatecerts -f seems to have no effect).

please provide "pveversion -v" and before and after the updatecerts run, "pvenode cert info"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!