Temporary Performance Issues due to network?

sshaikh

Apr 23, 2017
I usually run a couple of desktops on a Proxmox host running on a Haswell Xeon with 32GB ram. Hardware capabilities aside, the setup has been running well for me. The host is part of a two box cluster (which I use for the datacentre UI and not resilience).

For the last three days or so my desktops became a bit sluggish and unusable. This was across both that I had running. Since it was both, I suspected the host, and even things like ssh'ing into the box felt a little odd. I update at least once a month, so had some updates pending. A reboot after an update didn't help.

All of a sudden, they're now okay and everything is dandy again.

I have been messing with my network this week, including the reassignment of the Proxmox boxes' IP addresses. I also took the opportunity to switch them to DHCP using the instructions here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-5-3-dhcp-for-vmbr0.53285 (including updating the hosts file which seems to defeat the point of DHCP, but hey).

Is this something that could have caused the issues I was seeing? Perhaps the network needed to "settle" or something? The question is academic now that all is well, but it's worth knowing if such a situation could occur.

Is this something that could have caused the issues I was seeing?
This is a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It could have been a multitude of things. Always hard to tell afterwards.

I figured it was a long shot, but always worth documenting these data points.

If I see the same hostwide performance again, what's the best way to quantify what's going on? I didn't see anything unusual using top on the host for example.

That's a, it depends. You will need to check all endpoints of your workload/connection to see where it might be stuck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!