Tape Backup: understanding media sets

marte

Jun 28, 2019
I think I have a misunderstanding concerning media sets when using a tape library.

I have configured a media pool with a allocation policy "monthly" and a retention policy "2 weeks".

My understanding was, when removing the tape the backups are on from the library, a new tape gets selected with starts a new media set (thus, with a full backup), as the ols one can't be continued.

first backup works as expected (full backup):

Code:
Duration: 2h 14min 49s

Used Tapes:
KH3912L6

the second also (changes):

Code:
Duration: 6min 54s

Used Tapes:
KH3912L6

But, after removing the tape, I expected another full backup, but got:

Code:
Duration: 4min 20s

Used Tapes:
KH3913L6

So, only changes were written (at least thats what I think looking at the duration and how it gets displayed):
1705928510937.png

Why was no new media set started? In the documentation is written

Additionally, the following events may allocate a new media set:
  • Required tape is offline (and you use a tape library).

Okay, it MAY start a new media set. Why it doesn't in my case?

Hi

just fyi, i did not forget this thread :) honestly i'm not sure why it did not allocate a new media-set, but could you post your allocation/retention policy of that pool, then i can look into the source and see what might be going on there
(also maybe the docs are inaccurate or theres some info there missing)

EDIT: oops, i overlooked you already posted the policies... i'll look as soon as i have some time

Last edited:
Hi

just fyi, i did not forget this thread :) honestly i'm not sure why it did not allocate a new media-set, but could you post your allocation/retention policy of that pool, then i can look into the source and see what might be going on there
(also maybe the docs are inaccurate or theres some info there missing)

EDIT: oops, i overlooked you already posted the policies... i'll look as soon as i have some time
thank you!

I had already labeled some tapes for this pool, so that I can be sure which tapes can be used:
1706171826447.png
Is this maybe a problem?

Thank you & best regards

Is this maybe a problem?
no, that should not make a difference, it just reserves the tapes for that media-pool, not for any specific media-set

ok looking at the code, there are a few reasons when a new media set is created:

* if it's forced (via 'new backup' in the gui for example)
* because of the policy ( always or the time matches)
* an error with the media set happened ( e.g. missing tapes in the inventory, owner error etc. )
* the pool encryption key changed
* or if the last writable media is "vaulted" ( so marked as being in a vault)
(also maybe some reason that i missed)

though i'm questioning the last part a bit, as it does not make complete sense to me that only in the case of vaulted tapes a new media set is created.
i have to confer with my colleague though, maybe there is a deeper reason for this that i'm currently not seeing

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!