systemctl fails on jessie template

dreamer

Nov 10, 2015
Using the debian-8.0-standard template systemctl gives:
'Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1'

It seems that systemd isn't actually running inside the container.
Is this a problem with the template or do you need to add some extra settings?

I've also looked in to lxc-systemd instructions on the Arch wiki, but they didn't work.
(can't post link)

Any ideas/tips are welcome.

our debian 8 template does NOT use systemd.

Why not, if I may ask? I've already run in to a number of situations where packages were depending on it.

How would one build a jessie template that uses it?
I noticed I cannot install dab. and the sourcecode of dab shows indeed that sysvinit is enforced (commit 5d0f537eebb2ada42c6f61136e0c0ba0fe09ea72).

Last edited:
Why not, if I may ask? I've already run in to a number of situations where packages were depending on it.

How would one build a jessie template that uses it?
I noticed I cannot install dab. and the sourcecode of dab shows indeed that sysvinit is enforced (commit 5d0f537eebb2ada42c6f61136e0c0ba0fe09ea72).

systemd version in Debian Jessie is too old and it does not work as LXC container.

our ubuntu 15.04 template has a newer version of systemd, and this one uses systemd.

systemd version in Debian Jessie is too old and it does not work as LXC container.
So, this is apparently not actually the case.

I just built a plain lxc with jessie and systemd (or at least systemctl) works just fine (using: lxc-create -n container -t debian -- -r jessie).
Other topics on the issue also seem to say that in most cases jessie with systemd should work inside lxc.

https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/335

Ok, so we'll have to do with a broken jessie template until some 3rd party comes up with a solution?

Will wait patiently then ..

Ok, so we'll have to do with a broken jessie template until some 3rd party comes up with a solution?

Not sure what you mean by broken...

Other users still report problems with jessie/systemd, so I think it is best to do not use that combination for now.

Will wait patiently then ..

our jessie template does not use systemd, so what is "broken" in your opinion?

our jessie template does not use systemd, so what is "broken" in your opinion?

That's the whole point. Many packages these days depend on systemd.

So what is your suggestion: blacklist those packages?

So what is your suggestion: blacklist those packages?

You can still install systemd if you want (inside the default template). You can also use your selfmade template.
You claimed above that it works for you, so what exactly is the problem?

You can still install systemd if you want (inside the default template). You can also use your selfmade template.
You claimed above that it works for you, so what exactly is the problem?

It seemed to work with the bare lxc commands. There are no instructions how to use this to make a new template.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!