System startup error and no network: Failed to start ifupdown2-pre.service - Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown.

xyzliang

Nov 4, 2023
I tried to install the latest pve8 on my Dell T640 server. There were some errors during the boot of the installation image, but I still managed to enter the installation program successfully. After the installation was completed, there was a very long waiting time before entering the system, and finally, the following error message was output:
1699125580455.png
But still able to enter the system.
1699125619801.png

But can't connect to the network, even though I have configured the IP address.
1699125685704.png

It's strange that there is no virtual bridge (usually vmbr1 is setup by the installer) that gets the IP address. Can you show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces?

EDIT: I don't know what's wrong here. I have not seen this before.

Last edited:
It's strange that there is no virtual bridge (usually vmbr1 is setup by the installer) that gets the IP address. Can you show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces?
Thank you for your reply. In fact, following the suggestion of chatgpt4, I tried adding kernel boot parameters acpi=off, then updated GRUB and restarted. However, now I have been stuck at this point for about ten minutes (previously it was stuck for about two to three minutes). I will wait for a while and then try entering GRUB to remove acpi=off in order to provide you with details of the interfaces file in the system.
1699126982890.png

My network configuration file is as follows. I have not manually configured it, but only entered the management address of the network card selected during installation.
1699127840206.png

If you can help me solve the problem, I would be extremely grateful. ESXi cannot install the system on its own created software RAID, which is what I need. This is also why I chose PVE.

I tried to reinstall pve8. This time the installation and boot speed were very fast, without encountering previous errors. However, after entering the system, I still couldn't connect to the network, even when pinging the gateway.

Thank you for everyone's help. After a series of troubleshooting suggestions from chatgpt4, I had to change my network cable interface (the server has two network ports) and modify the relevant configurations. After restarting the network, I saw that PVE successfully connected to my router (it would also connect before, but it would disappear after a few seconds, and I was not sure what the problem was), and I could ping the gateway and everything is normal.

I am still curious why this situation occurred?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!