Syslog-ng write to /dev/tty10 that doesn't exists

grobs

Apr 1, 2016
France
Hi everyone,

My Proxmox 5 LXC containers are running syslog-ng on Debian 9 (stretch) and I found that syslog-ng defines /dev/tty10 by default as a log device.
Ths problem is that /dev/tty10 doens't exists on containers created from the official Debian 9 template, leading syslog-ng to create a standard file when writing on /dev/tty10, which finally fullfills /dev partition.

How can I declare a tty10 to workaround this issue?

Best regards

hmm, this can be done manually with a bit of work, as we only support a TTY count between 0 and 6, but you could try to just create a link to another (unused) tty, e.g., with something like:
Code:
ln -s /dev/tty2 /dev/tty10

Then the syslog-ng output should be available on the linked tty (or by just opening the link itself).

Thank you for this quick reply.
I thought to this solution but wasn't very happy as it' sounds like a dirty hack.
I will do this until I find a better solution.

Shouldn't it be included in the Debian 9 LXC template ?

Last edited:
Thank you forthis quick reply.
I thought to this solution but wasn't very happy as it' sounds like a dirty hack.
I will do this until I find a better solution.

IMHO, it's a nice and valid workaround and I see no real drawbacks as it needs to be setup only once.

Shouldn't it be included in the Debian 9 LXC template ?

No, not necessarily, such devices are independent of the binaries and configuration files of a storage, they are made on CT start.
While you sure can have special device node files in a template or backup they need to be allowed to be created on CT restore or creation, which in restricted CT environment is often not allowed, or only allowed for a small set of unproblematic devices types.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!