Suspended Mode Recovery: No ethernet connection or display out

bootsie123

Dec 29, 2018
Hi. I'm trying to set up Wake On Lan with Proxmox so that when it's not being used it will automatically go into suspended mode and when someone tries to connect with it again a WoL packet will be sent and turn on the server. The problem I'm running into is the recovery after suspended mode.

After the server recovers from suspended mode, there is no video output and the system doesn't seem to connect back to the internet again. When the system is put into suspend mode the system fans and everything shuts down, then when it's brought back up the system fans turn on again. Although, USB power, the networking card, display out, etc. does not work.

I tried searching online for help and couldn't really find anything. I also tried no using WoL and instead of waking up the system from suspended mode manually and nothing seems to be working. Any ideas on how I can solve this?

Last edited:
What kind of hardware are you using? I don't think this is a Proxmox related problem. Did WoL work on this server before installing Proxmox?

Hi. I have a Dell Precision T7500. WoL does work on the server, however, it's the recovery from suspended mode which is the issue. After trying to fix the issue for a little while now suspended mode does seem like something that doesn't work very well on Linux. I wasn't sure if it might have been something related with the Proxmox version of Debian Jessie. I bought this server used and the first thing I installed on it was Proxmox. So I can't really verify if that's the case.

I've tried a lot of different things regarding this issue since I posted this thread. Now that you mention it I am thinking it is less of a Proxmox related issue and more of a general Linux one. Unless someone has any ideas of things I can try I think this issue on this forum is at a standstill for now until I can narrow done the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!