Suspend Vm / Host with pci passthrough works and don't work.

Dark26

Nov 27, 2017
Bonjour,

I have 3 host with proxmox in cluster, runnig fine.

I love proxmox and i decide to have it for my workstation too.

My workstation hardware :

AMD Fx6300
Gibabyte ga-990xa-ud3 v3.0

Graphic card in slot pci one primary card : ATI RADEON 7870

Graphic card in slot pci two : Nvidia Geforce 210

Pci passthrough for both card works. Vm are Debian / Mint

But if i want too suspend the vm and after the host , everything works fine for the Nvidia card. i can resume

But with the AMD card , when i suspend the Vm, everything is freezing even the host, nothing responde, reset is the only solution.

Any hint ?

Is it because it's AMD card, because it's the primary display at boot that causing problem?

any idea ?

Merci

Dark26

Suspending VMs with passthrough devices, especially GPUs, is a tricky scenario in general. TBH I'm somewhat surprised it works well for your NVIDIA card at all.

Is it because it's AMD card, because it's the primary display at boot that causing problem?
Primary GPU could be the problem, maybe your BIOS is re-initializing it when resuming the host, and thus breaking the state for the VM?

Again, this is not *really* a supporteds scenario, but seeing how it works for your NVIDIA card, I supposed there's a way if you tinker enough.

Well after some digging.

i change the primary card in the bios, in order to boot the nvidia card. --> Same problem.

I try to put the AMD card instead the nividia in the debian vm conf, to see if it's an os problem, but still the problem with the amd card in the debian Vm.

An the every body say : use the nividia card :cool:

yes the but the geforce 210 can only drive 2 screen , the mad card ( sorry AMD) can do 3 screen. :(

AMD bug ?

I hope i do not have this issue with the xeon e3-1246 v3 i will receive ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!