Suspend-to-Disk, S4 or hibernate the proxmox-host incl. vms

hoppel118

Apr 5, 2012
Hey guys,

for my home-environment I use pve with mostly 2 vms runnig, at the moment only one "openmediavault" as a media-server (movies, music, pics). To reduce the power-consumption, I want to hibernate the pve-host completely by suspend-to-disk (s4).

Is this possible?

With the following command proxmox hibernates and it's possible to awake proxmox with wol.

Code:
pm-hibernate

Is this the solution? I think pve doesn't get back the last status, but rather it starts omv completely new. What is the best way to hibernate?

regards

With the following command proxmox hibernates and it's possible to awake proxmox with wol.

Code:
pm-hibernate

Is this the solution? I think pve doesn't get back the last status, but rather it starts omv completely new. What is the best way to hibernate?

Howdy

Did you find a solution to this?

Also your OMV installation - did you consider installing it on the host instead of in a VM?

I'm thinking of doing that if they can co-exist on the host that would be better than consuming the power of a full KVM. Pity it can't work in a container.

Hey Warwick chapman,

seemingly my motherboard (Intel S3420GPLX) doesn't support S3/S4. It's a server-board. So it's a 24/7 home server.

Maybe this is the solution for you?

Greetings Hoppel

Hoppel

I'm running a HP Microserver which has an AMD processor in it. When I had Debian Wheezy installed on it before I could just hit the power button and it would hibernate - now that I have installed Proxmox from ISO it does not.

Will have a read and give it a bash. Thank you :)

No problem. Please tell me, if this was the solution for you!

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

It would be nice, if the vms would although suspend. Could this be possible?

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I know this is an old topic but haven't found any updated info around this.
Is it feasible to hibernate/suspend proxmox avoiding to shutdown VM and hibernate/suspend them instead?

Thank you,

s it feasible to hibernate/suspend proxmox avoiding to shutdown VM

Suspend to disk works already, but not yet automatically on host shutdown.

I am not looking for suspend but hibernate. Suspend can be more tricky in a sense that RAM is not stored in disk.
From concept point of view seems something easy to implement. Currently, when you press the physical button, system shutdown all VM and finally proxmox host itself. It works like a champ.
Is there any manual way to change the behaviour instead of shutting down VM to hibernate them? I don't know, changing conf at ACPI level/creating specific scripts...¿?
I use to hibernate my machines and then physically press physical button and work well too but requires login to proxmox on purpose to do that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!