suse installs as kvm, but windows doesn't

hello,
I try to install as a fully virtualized kvm-vm
a fresh Win2003 SBS Server OR Win2k OR WinXP but none of these are started for installation by their CD-Installation-discs.
Using the new Suse-11.0-DVD there are no problems to start an installation
on:
proxmox 0.9
running on an ASUS P5K Deluxe mainboard 8highly linux-compatible)
with 8096 MB RAM on an Intel Quad Core Q6700
and 2 x 500 GB SATA II discs

the system says its running - cpu usage goes up to 95+ % - but no vnc windows - no message - nil.
Is it, that i forgot something simple ??
yatri

Your request for help could use some more details.

Have you mounted an ISO image by editing the /etc/qemu-server/NNN.conf or are you doing this from a physical DVD-ROM drive?
What settings did you choose when you created each VM?

When you say "no vnc windows" are you saying you are attempting to bring up the vnc console and it just hangs there and shows you nothing or a black screen or what?

I have successfully booted Win2k server, WinXP Pro and Windows Vista under KVMs with Proxmox VE 0.9, I know it generally works.

I mounted an Installation-CD with a physical DVD-drive.
The settings I used were:
Type: KVM (fully virtualized)
installation-media: CD-Rom device
Name: SBS Disk Space: 40 GB Memory (MB): 1024
VMID: 103 (2 others are present)
Start at boot: Yes
Disk Type: IDE
Guest Type: Windows 2003

I tried today again, but made sure to be very fast in a VNC-Session an a firefox under Windows (I encountered my Problems while using opensuse10.2-firefox), so fast that I could press a key to start the installation from CD - and it worked!

In suse I got a message: Applet loading => and then => applet failed.
Looks like it was neither a problem of proxmox nor of my hardware or media - but a problem of my firefox within suse10.2 who could handle suse herself as a vnc-guest-session or debian-openvz within a vnc guest session but not the SBS-Setup-Screens??
Strange ..

I mounted an Installation-CD with a physical DVD-drive.
The settings I used were:
Type: KVM (fully virtualized)
installation-media: CD-Rom device
Name: SBS Disk Space: 40 GB Memory (MB): 1024
VMID: 103 (2 others are present)
Start at boot: Yes
Disk Type: IDE
Guest Type: Windows 2003

I tried today again, but made sure to be very fast in a VNC-Session an a firefox under Windows (I encountered my Problems while using opensuse10.2-firefox), so fast that I could press a key to start the installation from CD - and it worked!

In suse I got a message: Applet loading => and then => applet failed.
Looks like it was neither a problem of proxmox nor of my hardware or media - but a problem of my firefox within suse10.2 who could handle suse herself as a vnc-guest-session or debian-openvz within a vnc guest session but not the SBS-Setup-Screens??
Strange ..

for me it looks like an issue on your suse desktop (32 or 64-bit?). do other web site work using your firefox java plugin? do you have a desktop firewall? if yes, disable for testing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!