Supermicro X8STI woes

3rased

Sep 2, 2009
Hi,
I'm currently having issue with proxmox detecting drives plugged into the onboard sata controller on supermicro x8sti motherboards. They simply are not detected by proxmox. Is anybody out there having or had similar issues? Any help would be appreciated

yes i have a 3ware raid card that picks up fine but i want to use the onboard sata to attach a 3rd hard drive as a backup volume

the bios of the machine sees the drive but proxmox doesn't see it i wonder if this is a kernel thing where the right drivers aren't loaded

Hi,
I'm currently having issue with proxmox detecting drives plugged into the onboard sata controller on supermicro x8sti motherboards. They simply are not detected by proxmox. Is anybody out there having or had similar issues? Any help would be appreciated

take a look in the bios and see if there is a selection how to use the sata, there should be something like:

• raid
  • ahci
  • ide
try ide. better?

we rebooted to try this but on reboot we got a kernel panic

Code:
switch_root: can't open '/dev/console' : No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!

our raid unit is a 3ware raid with 2x 1.5TB sata drives connected in mirror arrangement we were trying to get an onboard sata interface to pick up an extra 500gb hd to be mounted for backup (the onboard hd is plugged into socket 4 on the mobo - would be secondary slave in ide mode)

Last edited:
to fully respond to my previous message

it was actually in enhanced IDE mode in the bios and proxmox didnt pick it up
i switched to AHCI, proxmox did pick it up but i got kernel panic as above - i did notice that my raid drives had moved from sda to sdb
i switched to raid mode and i got the same result

compatible AHCI mode - kernel panic was picked up
compatible IDE mode - kernel panic not picked up as far as i could see
compatible RAID mode - kernel panic was picked up

only working mode for me was enhance IDE at which point proxmox did not pick up the onboard drive

I have the same problem with...

[FONT=&quot]Supermicro X8STi Motherboard
Intel Xeon W3520 2.66Ghz Xeon CPU
3Ware 9650SE-4LP with 2 x 1TB HDD
1,5TB Seagate SATAII HDD (Not detected by Proxmox but shows in BIOS)[/FONT]

any idea?

Thanks.

your gonna get the same problems i did

now if only we could make the onboard drive stay last as the kernel panics i believe are caused by the fact it shifts your RAID unit to sdb from sda, i dont know if there is anyway of resolving this without a reinstall with both drives attached

for reference you need to have the bios in Enhanced AHCI mode for proxmox to pick up the drive but then you get kernel panic from proxmox

i suspect this has something to do with grub or is grub related

Last edited:
only solution i know of currently is to reinstall with the hard drive active (enhanced AHCI) and make sure you get the right volume to install too (most likely sdb)

further update

its something to do with the references of the hd changing from sda to sdb and trying to change into the root of something that is not there

the part of the boot script that is causing the issue: change root

its trying to change the root to /dev/mapper/pve-root (which is normal) now for some reason its reference (i assume symlink) is the old one (sda) which is causing the issue

further update

its something to do with the references of the hd changing from sda to sdb and trying to change into the root of something that is not there

the part of the boot script that is causing the issue: change root

its trying to change the root to /dev/mapper/pve-root (which is normal) now for some reason its reference (i assume symlink) is the old one (sda) which is causing the issue

/dev/mapper/pve-root is an LVM volume, which is detected by scanning the contend of the disk.

yeah i had worked that much out, really strange why adding the extra HD causes the mapping to go wrong and why it doesnt rescan (its like the scan gets interupted)

anyway i solved my problem - i had to reinstall, annoyingly because there is no way of doing a PXE install of proxmox i had to remotely PXE lenny 64bit and manually install PVE on top, but it went fine without a hitch with the exception that debian has decided to rename my network interfaces from eth0 and eth1 to eth2 and eth3 respectively, it seems persistant but still not sure about it.

just got fsck issues to contend with at the moment, but seems fine

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!