Supermicro server hardware compatibility

ppo

Aug 6, 2012
Hi, community. I'm new in virtual technology such KVM, so I decide to start using Proxmox VE 2.1
Because I don't have any free server with full support Intel VT, I choose processor:
http://ark.intel.com/products/65732/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1230V2-(8M-Cache-3_30-GHz)
and server system based on those processor:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5017/sys-5017c-mf.cfm
My question is: does this mainboard X9SCL-F and integrated network controller Intel 82579LM and 82574L is compatible with Proxmox VE 2.1 to install from scratch by using iso-image?
thanks in advance!

..slightly off-topic, but if you plan to assemble the server yourself, make sure that you receive a motherboard with BIOS v2.0 or greater,
since only this revision will support the v2 CPU you have chosen...otherwise the board will not post and you need a non-v2 CPU and maybe other DRAM to boot and upgrade BIOS.

..slightly off-topic, but if you plan to assemble the server yourself, make sure that you receive a motherboard with BIOS v2.0 or greater,
since only this revision will support the v2 CPU you have chosen...otherwise the board will not post and you need a non-v2 CPU and maybe other DRAM to boot and upgrade BIOS.
thanks for your comment!
In case of buying server with Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 & v2 I hope that Supermicro make appropriate changes in BIOS.
Another question is still open: does that hardware is supported by Proxmox system?

My PVE is running on an older X8SIL-F (socket 1156) without issues.
With your selection, I am in doubt about the first NIC 82579LM...to play safe go for a board with two 82574L models, like the X9SCM-IIF.
I found a reference here, that the NIC driver maybe not be part of lenny/squeeze in a stock distribution (although PVE might be different).
SM just introduced the X9SCM-IIF, while the very successfull X9SCM-F having the same NIC layout as your X9SCL-F.
My guess is that was issued based on customer demand as other hypervisors like ESXi also have no stock driver for that NIC.

Apart from that...that system should be OK, I think.

Do you mean this?
Recommended by your X9SCM-IIF is looking good, but in server article with E3-1200 support I have not found server with such mainboard. Maybe it's due to newly started production of that mainboar and in future it will be as part of ready to use servers.
Would you recommend some ready to use server with E3-1200 & v2 compatibility for PVE?

Last edited:
one of my production clusters runs proxmox KVM-only on 3 X9SCL-F mainboards with E3-1230 cpus without a problem.

GT1, what type of CPU do you use? is it based on 22mm lithography technology also known as E3-12xxV2 or V1?

Do you mean this?
Recommended by your X9SCM-IIF is looking good, but in server article with E3-1200 support I have not found server with such mainboard. Maybe it's due to newly started production of that mainboar and in future it will be as part of ready to use servers.
Would you recommend some ready to use server with E3-1200 & v2 compatibility for PVE?

yes, or rather this by tom's update...

If you want to go for a SM pre-built server, looks like you are right...but there are others that sell pre-configured servers, based on SM hardware (like the one I linked) and you might be able to combine case and mobo to your liking from another source.

thanks all for reply. finally we had buy Supermicro with such configuration:
- SuperMicro SYS-5017C-MF, 1U, 1155, 2x 3.5" internal,Intel C202 PCH
- Intel Xeon E3-1220V2, 3,1GHz, 8MB LGA1155, 22nm, 69W, Quad Core
- Hynix RAM 4 GB DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered DIMM x2
- Seagate Constellation ES 7200 500GB 64 MB, 8.5 msec, 7200RPM, SATA600
- LG GT60N Slim Intern SATA
and it work fine witn 2.1.

I also have a server from www.supermicro.com I like them for being "bring your own disk".
  • CHASIS: SuperMicro CSE-216E26-R1200LPB 2U, 2x1200W PSU, 24 x 2,5", 2xSAS2 expander
  • MAINBOARD: SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ LG2011 Retail, Dual Xeon E5-2600, Intel C602, 4xGBLAN
  • CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2609, 2.4GHz, 10MB, LGA2011, 32nm, 80W, Quad Core, 6.40 GT/s
  • FAN: Supermicro køler LGA2011 E5-2600/ES-4600, Narrow ILM, 1U UP ,DP, MP Server
  • RAM: Hynix RAM 8 GB DDR3 1600 Reg. ECC
  • CABLE: 3ware ML SFF-8087 til ML SFF-8087 0,6m, SAS cable, connect SFF-8087 Controller
  • CONTROLLER: Supermicro 6Gb/s 8-Port int. SAS ctrl., LSISAS 2108, 512MB Cache, PCIe x8
  • BATTERY: LSI/3Ware Battery Back-Up Unit, for 8880EM2, 9260, 9280 and 9750 Series
I did experience a strange problem with the network, it was lagging, when I changed to pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve, but now it has gone away??

Last edited:
Could someone provide link to good 1U Supermicro server for PVE?

We're in the process of transitioning from a Dell-heavy shop a mixed shop, right now mostly Supermicro. We've got one 1U in production - a SuperServer 1027R-WRFT+. So far we've been happy with it and the other Supermicro gear we have in production (storage servers doing shared, backup and archival work). We're not doing HA, but should be possible using the IPMI.

what about http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/system/1u/1012/as-1012g-mtf.cfm
supermicro A+ Server 1012G-MTF
twelve-core AMD opteron model 6344 2.6GHz 28MB cache
4x8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM
2x2.0TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Seagate constellation EX.3 3.5"
form factor 1U rackmount

still dont know what brand of the RAM as i didnt know if its gonna work well...

update:
i use BIOS RAID.it seems like the HDD not raided.(LED not blinking)
proxmox running fine.just the case above. i think it not working.the raid i mean..

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!