Summary of allocated RAM?

grefabu

May 23, 2018
Hi,

did I see a summary of the RAM, allocated to the VMs per node?
Think in the summary per node I see only the used RAM, but not the RAM which is additional allocated to inactive VMs?

Bye

Gregor

Hi,
could you explain what you mean by "RAM allocated to inactive VMs"? If the VM is shut down, there is no RAM allocated for that VM.
Do you mean the sum of the memory values in the VM configurations?

If you don't mind get dirty with shell scripts, take this simple example:
RAM provisioned to running VMs (in GB)
# qm list | fgrep running | awk '{s+=$4}END{print s/1024}'
RAM provisioned to all VMs (in GB)
# qm list | awk '{s+=$4}END{print s/1024}'

do not make a confusion about RAM actually allocated to running VMs, which should be smaller than provisioned RAM
also take care that KSM will reduce used RAM when you have similar VMs so that RAM can be "deduplicated"
and notice that I did not take CTXs into consideration, only VMs

Last edited:
Reactions: amengus
In most cases it's more important to know how much RAM is actually used. With modern technologies, over-provisioning is often possible. Please take a look at this wiki entry. Of course, if you want to be careful and not over-provision, you can use a script as @macleod suggested and see how much RAM you have already provisioned.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!