SUGGESTION: integrate noVNC

gkovacs

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I've recently stumbled upon a project called noVNC that promises to implement a VNC client using HTML5 (WebSockets, Canvas) with encryption (wss://) support.
http://kanaka.github.io/noVNC/

As it's an open source project, I think it would be a worthwile addition to the PVE web interface, which is not usable on mobile devices currently due to the Java-based VNC client.

Last edited:
I've recently stumbled upon a project called noVNC that promises to implement a VNC client using HTML5 (WebSockets, Canvas) with encryption (wss://) support.
http://kanaka.github.io/noVNC/

As it's an open source project, I think it would be a worthwile addition to the PVE web interface, which is not usable on mobile devices currently due to the Java-based VNC client.

Yes! the Java console is a pain in the butt. NoVNC is a great project that works very well.

A web-based (HTML5... not Java) VNC client is a clear winner in my mind. It performs very well and works on EVERY computer, including mobile devices.

The claim that it performs good is simply wrong - you cannot view videos or other fast moving content because of serious performance problems.

It seems that google has dropped NPAPI Support (and so java plugin support) on recent crome versions on linux. Windows Version will follow soon. And I was also unable to get it to work with java 8 at all (because of more restricted security). So it's getting harder and harder to use JAVA VNC viewer.
IMO NoVNC would be a good thing within the admin panel. If speed matters, SPICE is the better option.
An option would be to let the user choose between java and novnc. Anotehr option I have seen is to provide the download of a customized JNLP-File that starts the viewer.

Kind Regards,
Michael.

The claim that it performs good is simply wrong - you cannot view videos or other fast moving content because of serious performance problems.

Does anyone watch videos with the Proxmox console? As I see it the console is mostly used for configuration and survey.

A couple of times I ran into the situation that we got an error report from one of the hosted servers while on the road. And it was difficult to get java started due to security restrictions. Spice installation was also not allowed. Another opportunity of access whould calm that situation down.

Best regards, Holger

noVNC is now integrated. I work on this. It is really fine! :) Is noVNC also in final, or is that only for testing. I love it!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I'm accessing the Proxmox interface on a W2K8R2 Server using Chrome, and the NoVNC window opens, says "connected", but the console does not appear. Anyone have similar problems?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!