[Suggestion] Add Tags based selection mode in backup job

Yes, we discussed already internally that such a thing would be nice to have.

But I'd not cram it as yet another selection mode in, but see if we can rework the whole to something in the spirit of the new bulk-action (start, migrate, stop, suspend) filters, as that is quite flexible but still relatively easy to understand and work with.

The most work would be ensuring the matchers/filters are sound and can cover use-cases also in other areas.
As compared to the bulk-action filter this would not be done only in the frontend but implemented in the backend, and needs to be supported for a long time and should be ideally re-useable for all other sorts of endpoints where a list of VM can be passed.

Anyhow, feel free to open an enhancement request over at our Bugzilla so that we have this properly tracked:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/
 
Thanks, seems I overlooked that there was already one – I did a quick check, but the title of the pre-existing request wasn't the most easy to find, so I edited that now too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ramalama
I have VMs tagged as [production] [lab] [template] and even though lab might be running I only want production to be backed up.
Similar here. I would also like to make use of tag-based backups. I am helping myself currently with some scripting around pvesh.
Depending how it gets implemented, bulk actions might work if they are able to get preconfigured and scheduled. Resource pool based backup jobs are of no value for my environment.
 
+1 also from my side.

I would be happy to see any flexible/dynamic selection methods for backup. POOL-based comes close, but it only allows selecting one pool.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JoaGamo
Hi everyone,

We would also like to see tag-based backup job selection implemented in Proxmox VE.

We are currently migrating a large VMware environment to Proxmox VE.

Our goal is to dynamically assign VMs to backup jobs based on freely configurable tags instead of relying on resource pools or manually maintaining VM selections.

Tags should be evaluated at backup execution time, ensuring that newly created VMs are automatically included in the appropriate backup jobs when matching tags are assigned.

This would simplify backup management, improve automation, and reduce the risk of VMs being unintentionally excluded from backups.

We have also added our use case to the existing feature request:

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4186

Is there any update on the implementation status or potential roadmap for this feature?