[Suggestion] Add Tags based selection mode in backup job

Yes, we discussed already internally that such a thing would be nice to have.

But I'd not cram it as yet another selection mode in, but see if we can rework the whole to something in the spirit of the new bulk-action (start, migrate, stop, suspend) filters, as that is quite flexible but still relatively easy to understand and work with.

The most work would be ensuring the matchers/filters are sound and can cover use-cases also in other areas.
As compared to the bulk-action filter this would not be done only in the frontend but implemented in the backend, and needs to be supported for a long time and should be ideally re-useable for all other sorts of endpoints where a list of VM can be passed.

Anyhow, feel free to open an enhancement request over at our Bugzilla so that we have this properly tracked:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

Thanks, seems I overlooked that there was already one – I did a quick check, but the title of the pre-existing request wasn't the most easy to find, so I edited that now too.

Reactions: Ramalama
I have VMs tagged as [production] [lab] [template] and even though lab might be running I only want production to be backed up.
Similar here. I would also like to make use of tag-based backups. I am helping myself currently with some scripting around pvesh.
Depending how it gets implemented, bulk actions might work if they are able to get preconfigured and scheduled. Resource pool based backup jobs are of no value for my environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!