[SOLVED] Successful experience with laptop GPU Passthrough

LuchS

Aug 29, 2021
Hello. This is the story about my expirience with laptop GPU Passthrought to virtual machine.
I used Clevo N957TC laptop (aka Hasee ZX7-CT5DA) and Proxmox 7.0-8. As u can see at system block diagramm GPU of Laptop has personal video-out (HDMI and DP). I connected a monitor via HDMI.
1630863156662.png
The first of all i test my laptop with some linux command to uderstant the possibility and i was glad to see this picture
IMG_20210814_172218 — копия.jpg
After this i installed KDE-full GUI for Debian linux and i followed this guide, but with some differences:
1. I used VirtIO SCSI, not Single
2. I did not use the rom file
3. My differences were:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset"

echo "options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
echo "options kvm ignore_msrs=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf

echo "softdep nouveau pre: vfio-pci" » /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
echo "softdep nvidia pre: vfio-pci" » /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
echo "softdep nvidia* pre: vfio-pci" » /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
4. I tested many changes, while i saw the picture at the monitor

before error 43 i got error 31, but afte a few changes i could install the NVidia last video drivers. For Linux it worked perfectly from the first start. Wor windows i got the problems with error 31 and error 43, the videodriver from Clevo/Hasee do not worked, but the last videodriver with Max-q parametr start correctly (my GTX1660ti is 80W)
48y0R1ZVtAc.jpg
IMG_20210831_132229 — копия.jpg

thank u.=)

Last edited:
Is there a solution to - somehow - get the output of the dedicated GPU shown own the laptop monitor? So that I can use my laptop on the road with proxmox as host and then, if required (i.e. for gaming) just spin up my win10 vm and do a dedicated gpu passthrough to it.

Is there a solution to - somehow - get the output of the dedicated GPU shown own the laptop monitor?
ff4413ba8878f9db9b2a27342220c928.jpeg

This is possible only for MUXed laptops, if u have MUXless, like me, this is not possible... but
in this link author says that this could be possible, bit not for all of laptops, and this is not the ProxMox

what could work though is if you use e.g. looking glass: https://looking-glass.io/
i did not test this in such a configuration, but basically it uses shared memory to copy the framebuffer from the guest to the host and uses a client on the host to display the content

Thank you for the quick reply. So I see in my case... no proxmox on my laptop :(
if u have MUXless laptop with video ports, which join directly to discrete video card, u can use GPU Passthrough with outer monitor, like me. Off cause the motherboar should support IOMMU and all necessary features

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!