Subscription - Ways to purchase in the US?

dhickman

Sep 4, 2013
Like everyone else my initial reaction to the subscription was "wow.... I need to go find a new server OS." After reading things, I saw that it was a false alarm.

I run a dual socket system on a dell c1100 for my personal sandbox to play in for home servers and for homeschooling. I ran the numbers and decided that I could possible afford to pay the price.

The addition of SPICE allows me to work on netbooting a couple of LTSP clients and use VDI for each of my kids computers. This would be much nicer that LTSP and my kids would have the ability to have "their" own system.

I wanted to get a subscription before to help keep this project alive but the old prices were out of reach for my use case.

Here is my issue, at 99,50 EU that comes out to around $130 US. Add to that the 20% VAT that US citizens are not required to pay and this product starts to get expensive. Yes it is significantly cheaper than vSphere, or Xen Server ( and blows them away.)

Is there a way to purchase from a US site? or purchase in us dollars and avoid the VAT?

Thanks

David H Hickman, CISSP

There is no VAT for purchases from US, see: http://shop.maurer-it.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displaycat&catid=4

Here is the important part:

Code:
Maurer IT is required to charge VAT to customers as follows:

European Union Customers: 
Maurer  IT is required to charge Austrian VAT of 20% on all sales to customers  residing in the European Union. If you are a VAT registered customer,  please populate the VAT Registration Number field with your VAT  registration number in order for VAT to not appear on the  invoice (please note that this does not apply to VAT registered  customers located in Austria).

Non-European Union Customers: 
No VAT will be charged. To see your  final price without VAT in the cart summary you have to be registered  in the shop. Without registration the cart summary will always show VAT.

What is price for subscription for community edition. On the website it says 416 euros/CPU/Month. Is that correct?
I want to purchase a subscription for stable repository. At 416 euros /month translates to 4992 Euros /year.
Is my understanding correct? Or 416 euro is one time charge.

What is price for subscription for community edition.
btw, there is no "community edition". There is only a "community repository", which is the place where pve updates become "public".
Then, after a (short, but) variable amount of time, when pve team feels that they are "production stable" (ie: well tested by pve team & community), they may go into "enterprise repo".
see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Subscriptions

So, apart the risk to get early updates not extensively tested, and apart a small nag that reminds you that you should buy a subscription, pve is nearly the same, and most important is not restricted in any way. In a sense, "community repo" backed pve (without subscription) is often more "advanced" than the "enterprise repo" backed pve (with subscription), but it could be not perfectly stable due to less extensive tests on the repo packages.

But the subscription (even the basic, which as mir said is much chaper of what you thought :D ) helps pve devs to, at least, cover costs of community support by free forums and surely helps them to see their great job appreciated and valued by effective users. It's much deserved, believe me.

I want to purchase a subscription for stable repository. At 416 euros /month translates to 4992 Euros /year. Is my understanding correct? Or 416 euro is one time charge.
Pve is SO great, that it makes you believe that is must be SO expensive. But it's not ;) it's 1/100th of that...

Marco

To clarify things in Debian terms the different repos could be compared in this way:
pvetest =~ Debian Unstable
pve-no-subscription =~ Debian Testing
pve-enterprise =~ Debian Stable

Thank you Mir for clarifying.
Thanks Marco for explaining in detail. I agree. Proxmox is such a great product, mainly because of the ease with which one can have cloud production ready in no. There is hardly any learning curve. Moreover it supports KVM as well as openvz containers. Now with 3.2 there are many enhancements like spice protocol support and various storage models that it can be carved out to one's custom requirements. I am thinking of moving from vmware to proxmox.
Thanks and Regards
Kumar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!