[SOLVED] Subscription key and server ID

Jacky Li

Jan 15, 2019
Hi,

I am running the PMG as a VM on PVE. I clonned a copy of it to setup a backup server with a higher MX priority. It seems that the clone has the same server ID and subscription key. How do I fix that so I can put my 2nd subscription key? Thank you.

Jacky

Hi Dietmar,

I upload the key even it is the same key as the first server? Thanks.

Jacky

The easiest way would be to setup a new PMG machine (use the .iso, pve container template or install on top of Debian Buster).
If you want to keep the rule set - then create a backup via PMG gui on the old installation and restore it to the new one.

You could also try to remove the subscription (depending on the installed version this either can be done via GUI (Configuration->Subscription->Remove Subscription button on the top) or by removing '/etc/pmg/subscription' via shell and then add the new subscription key via GUI

even it is the same key as the first server?
You need a separate subscription key per PMG installation.

I hope this helps!

Hmm..

The PMG machine is customized a lot and will require some work from a fresh copy even with the backup rules. I thought there is a way to update the Server ID and use the new ID for subscription.

Jacky

try adding the new subscription key then (after removing the old one) - does it work?
keep in mind that it might take a while for the subscription to be shown as active after you register it initially

Thank you. That works. Basically this means I have two subscription keys for the same server ID. This is probably a bug with the subscription and server ID when clone a working copy of PMG.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!