Stuck in v3.2. Need to upgrade/migrate to shared storage.

Maren

Oct 12, 2016
I currently have a 2 node cluster and 2 stand proxmox servers. I want to move to clustered shared storage and use HA. We only use containers so I don't

OpenVZ has been great in the way we can manage backups and move data from one container to another or accross nodes as all the container file systems are mounted and accessible.
I also don't like commiting the storage to LXC regardless of whether I use it or not. I don't like losing the flexibility of OpenVZ.

About a year ago I trashed one of the Proxmox servers upgrading it, or should I say I stopped the conversion and not been able to use it since. During the conversion to LXC went a greated large files that contain the file system, though I think LXC allows you to have files stored in the same way the OpenVZ but at least in 4.0 it was not possible.

Is there any way I can upgrade and fix the machine I have down without creating these multi-gigabyte files that contain the file system.

What do I do with my cluster? How do I go to shared storage... ? Do I switch to NFS under version 3.2? In version 4 or 5 is the file system a massive file accessed on NFS share or is it per file access?

Sorry if these are stupid questions....

Hi,

you can use the OpnVZ style filesystem without to containerize it.
Set rootfs size to 0 at the creation.
This works only on file system storage types.

But there is no advantage of this approach. With nfs it slows your system massive down, because nfs is not great in handle thousands of files.

I would recommand you to read the reference doku.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/

Reactions: Maren
which document in particular you recommend?

also using ZFS sharefs will be slow ?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!