strings: '/lib/libc.so.6': No such file

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Sorry for the title but I wanted to be as descriptive as I could be, in order someone else searches it in the future.

So... upon my effort to install a cli program for proxmox in order to communicate with the SNMP card of the ups and gracefully shut down after all VMs do so, i tried to install the shutdownwizzard. The message I got after extraction of the tar.gz file and issuing ./installShutdownWizard_Linux_x64_text.bin command is .....
Code:
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
strings: '/lib/libc.so.6': No such file

I've found relevant issues on the ubuntu side which were both old and for another OS (both based on Debian, but proxmox has it s own unique environment striped out for everything that isn't needed) and mention to create a link for both 32 and 64 bit libraries but I dont want to do something that will probably have impact to something i m not aware of.

So, any thoughts about what can I do to correct this error ( installation continues, despite showing error, but I can t start a service or do anything afterwards) ?

Thank you.

PS In case it is useful, attached is the file with the output of dpkg -L libc6

Attachments

• dpkg -L libc6.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The libc is installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu on the Proxmox host.

The software you are trying to install seems to be very old, as it has the library path hardcoded and does not use the dynamic loader.
That is why I re-edited my post and added the outcome of dpkg -L libc6 in order something is missing there.

So is there anything that can be done?

NMC card is an SMPT WEB Pro 1.1 for a Tescom Prime Plus UPS and the manual refers a few lines about how to use a linux client.

contact the vendor, but I have to say that something that prints

Code:
Unpacking the JRE...

when installing while at the same time being very outdated and possibly no longer maintained seems like a no-go on a production host..

Reactions: gurubert
contact the vendor, but I have to say that something that prints

Code:
Unpacking the JRE...

when installing while at the same time being very outdated and possibly no longer maintained seems like a no-go on a production host..
True but I don t have any other way to communicate the host with the ups in case of occurred event s on the ups side.

i ve found then following link How do I install the Linux library libc.so.6 but I don t know the implications of a solution like that would have in the near future or possible updates would erase any kind of configuration due to customization.

According to the above link command dpkg -l | grep libc6 give me
ii libc6:amd64 2.31-13+deb11u5 amd64 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libc6-dev:amd64 2.31-13+deb11u5 amd64 GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files

but he has an addition library in Debian
ii libc6-dbg:amd64 2.31-13+deb11u3 amd64 GNU C Library: detached debugging symbols
maybe not needed in proxmox and removed don t know.

The site I am trying to download the client program from is https://www.xmart-ups.com/descargas_software.php?lang=en
and the file LINUX TXT Mode (64 bits) Shutdown for Slave PC

Last edited:
well, if your UPS doesn't properly support modern linux distros and its vendor is unwilling or unable to change that, it might be time to look for a new UPS..

Reactions: Neobin and gurubert
well, if your UPS doesn't properly support modern linux distros and its vendor is unwilling or unable to change that, it might be time to look for a new UPS..
ahahaha we just bought it . Yeah I know better search next time.

Maybe you can communicate with the UPS through the network UPS tools. The package is called nut.
I already know that software and tried to use it but for some reason couldnt, Also the supported list doesn t have the brand Tescom at all. Maybe there is an oem manufacturer that builds both Tescom and the other band I could use but this info is not for this site.
Anyway I don t know though, if I could skip the configuration of a NUT server since I have configure the NMC instead and use only the client part of NUT.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!