strange unexpected reboot of node

tauceti

May 11, 2021
Hi,

the last two days I had unexplainable reboots of my proxmox server. I didn't find anything in the logs...
reboot startet around 05:36 suddenly.
It is a netcup VPS but in the logs there and in the cloud cockpit there is no reboot...And server is listed up there for > 2 days when I started it.

Can you please help to check what is happening and where I can further look into?
reboot.PNGreboot2.PNGserver.PNGsyslog.PNGauthlog.PNG
Thanks!

Interesting Thanks! Well my server is a VPS server and lscpi says:
proxmox:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 USB [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Device 1234:1111 (rev 02)
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device
00:1c.0 Communication controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio console
00:1d.0 SCSI storage controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio SCSI
00:1e.0 Unclassified device [00ff]: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio memory balloon

well now I have my system running since 4 days without reboot. Strange though. I didn’t change anything but did a complete shutdown of the VPS and restart.

:( now I get sudden reboots again...anyone of the admin staff can help here please?

-Where does the sudden -- Reboot -- in the logs come from? I don't see it myself in the syslog only in proxmox UI.
-Is this reboot coming from proxmox?
-Where can I find further information on what triggered this reboot?

Thanks!

Similar issue: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/amd-epyc-based-systems-rebooting.54381/#post-422754

Same here:
* Latest proxmox
Code:
proxmox-ve: 7.0-2 (running kernel: 5.11.22-4-pve)
pve-manager: 7.0-11 (running version: 7.0-11/63d82f4e)
pve-kernel-5.11: 7.0-7
* Running on AMD EPYC
* "stress" and "memtest" ok
* no cluster or ha
* Randomly rebooting without any notices in the log files

Special here:
* Running as a kvm machine

I am out of ideas where to look and what to change. I followed many ways to get more information whats happening and changed many thigs. No luck yet.

I am able to provide any information you are interested in and I would be happy for any idea.

Thanks for your reply. I had contact with my VPS provider netcup and they changed the hosting machine to another/migrated my VPS to another host but again with Epyc I think. They said that they cannot do more and don’t Support Proxmox. The reboots got less but I still have them occasionally. They also use Epyc so I think it is indeed a hardware Problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!