Strange Networking Issues

boethius

Feb 11, 2016
Hi,
I was having some strange behavior with a CentOS guest. I used Proxmox 'monitor' pane in GUI to issue a memorydump for that guest. I forget the error message, but it was given twice, as well as any other monitor command that I attempted always ended with timeout.

Today, I am trying to transfer a specific file from a bare-metal machine on same network directly to the proxmox host. I SSH into the Host and to my surprise I see 2 memory dumps, so the commands I had issued had actually been received. I reboot the machine I SSH'd into the Proxmox host with to finalize the installation of Linux for Windows subsystem. I then SSH into proxmox again, this time from Linux Subsystem, and see this:

Code:
boe@NG44:~$ ssh 10.44.35.4 -l root
The authenticity of host '10.44.35.4 (10.44.35.4)' can't be established.
ED25519 key fingerprint is SHA256:iHimHkAIcX952DSXUQDEff43sDW0LMjaDTUepcbDo.
This key is not known by any other names
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no/[fingerprint])? yes
Warning: Permanently added '10.44.35.4' (ED25519) to the list of known hosts.
root@10.44.35.4's password:
Linux pve 5.4.195-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.195-1 (Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:19:46 +0200) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Jan  7 14:07:02 2023 from 10.44.44.174
sdfhjkasdfklj'
^C^C^C
It took an unusually long time to accept the password, but then it never drops the prompt and seems to be hung. I then try again with Putty, same as minutes before, and the same thing happens. I then try to access via webgui, and within Chrome, it never loads. Just shows a blank page. No error message. I try to access webgui via Firefox, and it shows a RST.
What is going on?

Last edited:
Ok, I've made some inroads here...

My root storage for the proxmox host is a pair of 16GB SataDOM's in a ZFS mirror.

to my surprise I see 2 memory dumps
These 2 memory dumps were 8GB each.
I don't understand how they were stored in the root directory, but I've observed the same phenomenon with pfSense having some 108% of storage consumed by a PCAP I forgot to limit by packet count.
I was able to delete those 2 memory dumps and SSH access has returned to normal, but I am getting the error invalid pve ticket when trying to access via Chrome. I get connection RST's when trying to access via firefox.
I saw someone recommend deleting the authkey.pub file, I tried and received:
Code:
root@pve:/var/log# rm /etc/pve/authkey.pub
rm: cannot remove '/etc/pve/authkey.pub': Input/output error

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!