Strange CPU cores count limitation

jasin755

Apr 24, 2020
Hello. I already installed macOS using Proxmox on my rig. My CPU is 3rd Threadripper 3960x. I see little lags when I am using macOS and try to find reason. I found here that is not recommended use maximum cores of your CPU for VM (that was my case. I had set 3x16 cores) and now beginning my question. I had to use 3x16cores instead of 1x48 because I didn't able to boot with 1x48. When I change 3x16 to 3x15 some problem (not able to boot). I have tried many combination and valid combinations are
1x 1-16 cores
2x 8 cores
2x 16 cores
3x 8 cores
3x 16 cores.

With other combinations I am not able to boot. I am using Penryn CPU type, CPU units 1024, Numa disabled. Where can be problem? I need to set 1x45 or 1x44 in ideal case.
PS: Sorry for my english :X

Word on the web is core count has to be 2^n (though 1-16 appears to work, you say). It is looking for permutations found on Apple hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!