Storage Recommendation Needed

jonathan bolich

Mar 11, 2019
I have been using Proxmox for past 6 months and am very pleased with it. I currently have a 6 nodes in a cluster with NAS for VM storage. I wasn't sure with NAS solution i wanted to go with at the time and have been testing with freenas and rockstor. The problem is, It seems that I keep loosing connections to freenas box or lately been having power issues from storms, that take down all my VM's and have to do restore's on them to get back up and running.

I have been looking at using CEPH,(testing at home lab now) but have questions on best way to do the setup. Now, I have light requirements on the VM's, currently only have 10 running, mix of windows and linux machines.
What I have: 4 nodes are 16 core with 24gig ram and a single 250gig drive for proxmox (have room to add two more drives). these are for production VM's, the other 2 nodes are desktop machines (original nodes for testing) and are used only for temporary VM's.
my current storage servers are same as above except have an additional 4 1TB drives with room for one more.

The VM's currently are using about 400Gb or storage.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

I'm running a proof-of-concept full-mesh 3-node Ceph cluster with identical servers. Odd number needed for quorum. It's currently running Proxmox 5.4 but will be installing 6.0 beta for performance optimizations.

Since an odd number of nodes is needed for a quorum, create either a 3 or 5 node cluster. You'll need to decide.

In order to increase performance, I do use Writeback on both the VMs and hard drives.

So far, I'm impressed with Ceph as both a block and file level storage technology. I think you will be too.

If you are using SAS drives, the HBA must be IT mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!