Storage location for VM Summary data

CZappe

Jan 25, 2021
Santa Fe, NM, USA
www.bti-usa.com
I recently migrated the config file for a long-running VM in our environment to a new, unclustered node. The virtual disk is hosted on an NFS server, so the VM boots and is running just fine on the new node. However, the summary data for the VM has started again from scratch, as all of the historical summary data about CPU, memory, network, and IO usage is still back on the old node. I would like to be able to pull that data over to the new node so that we can monitor continuous VM resource usage over the past year. Is this possible and, if so, where would one find the data files for VM summary data?

Thanks!

it's saved in the rrdcached database which should be located under /var/lib/rrdcached

you should probably be able to export/import it with rrdtool (you probably have to install it seperately) and check the man page with 'man rrdtool'

it's saved in the rrdcached database which should be located under /var/lib/rrdcached

you should probably be able to export/import it with rrdtool (you probably have to install it seperately) and check the man page with 'man rrdtool'

Awesome!

I found the rrd database for my vm under /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-vm/[VMID]

I copied the file to the same relative directory on the new node, appended with ".new", and ran the following one-liner. This allowed me to swap in the historical rrd data while the VM was running on the new node. (I'm substituting "123" for my VMID)

root@node:/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-vm# mv 123 123.bak && mv 123.new 123
(I could just rm the old data file, going forward, but wanted to be able to reverse this process the first time through)

I did lose access to the summary data for the last couple days in the process but, for as simple as this procedure was, the overall gain was worth it.
Thanks for the tip!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!