Storage Configuration Advice

ksainc

Nov 17, 2019
Hi All,

I would like some advice on the best OSD configuration for a small new cluster I am building. I will be using 3 Servers, with 32GB of memory, 4x12TB hard drives in each for storage, 2x mirrored SSD for the OS and a 10GB connection between the servers.

The question is, what is the best OSD configuration, one OSD per physical drive or is it better to bind the drives together first with striped raid or striped LVM and then use a single OSD for all four?

Thanks
Sebastian

from what I've read go with one osd per hdd . if you have more then a little disk i/o you may want to add a separate cache drive like a fast nvme . do some research on the cache drive and how to set it up.

Well I have read that also, but looking at it from a memory consumption and performance stand point wouldn't presenting a single OSD with a striped drive better? The Read/Write performance on four stripped drives surpasses even the fastest SSD (with the exemption of NVMe) and would save about 12GB (Assuming the default configuration of bluestone of 4GB per OSD) of memory since it would only be presented as a single drive.

Is my logic correct here or am I missing something?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!