Storage, checking data integrity, bit rot protection

Note: I would like to avoid using ZFS on rootfs due to lack of native support in kernel.
Yeah, but on the other hand the PVE team supplies us with a custom kernel that already comes patched with ZFS support and its the PVE default and the best tested option. Btrfs support was only recently added and is still in preview phase. As way more people are using ZFS and it is well tested and integrated in PVE for many years, ZFS should still be the most stable option you have, as a software raid.

Note: I would like to avoid using ZFS on rootfs due to lack of native support in kernel.
Note that pve comes with zfs when installed using the provided images. so in principle this is a non issue if you only need to access the drives from Proxmox VE.

Why do you need to set up specific sizes per subvolume? In general not having to setup this is considered a feature of btrfs.

Note that pve comes with zfs when installed using the provided images. so in principle this is a non issue if you only need to access the drives from Proxmox VE.

Why do you need to set up specific sizes per subvolume? In general not having to setup this is considered a feature of btrfs.
I'm considering something like LVM volumes where I could manage a volume pool using BTRFS. At first I would like to use LVM as layer below, but it's not recommended. My goal is to manage it as easily as possible without having to move free space (normal partitions are just not enough for my needs). Do you have idea, whether is possible with BTRFS? (I want to use BTRFS because it will be stable in a some time,so I want to be one step ahead)

If I understand what you want you don't need to move free space with btrfs, you create btrfs subvolumes and as long as the disk has free space you can write to any of them.

If I understand what you want you don't need to move free space with btrfs, you create btrfs subvolumes and as long as the disk has free space you can write to any of them.
Ok. So the free space is shared among others. I am trying to handle a case where it will be necessary to limit the space in a certain place. The more control you have over the system, it will be better ;)
I'm trying to find any information regarding space limiting in BTRFS, but I am not sure whether I understand it correctly. The feature to limit space in BTRFS is called qgroup and first I need to create sub-volume, then I need to set limit for it (btrfs qgroup limit 21G /path). Does it correct? So, there isn't any other possibilities to achieve that in the as simple as possible way?
So far, I'm used to limits at the block device level.

Yes, quotas can be used to, well, set a quota for the drive. e.g.
Code:
btrfs subvolume create path-to-my-volume
btrfs quota enable path-to-my-volume
btrfs qgroup limit 10G path-to-my-volume
will create a new subvolume at path-to-my-volume with a size limit of 10G. Note that the quota can be modified multiple times.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!