Static IP

rtlarose

Jan 8, 2021
Hello,

I just installed Proxmox and have created my first VM. The VM was created for an IT Security friend to test out prior to deploying a production server. My question... is there an easier way to assign IP's instead of installing OS and configuring manually? I downloaded Ubuntu 20.04 and configured the yaml file manually and assigned my friend an IP for my /29 designation. Is there an alternative to doing this? I apologize in advance as I am not familiar with virtualization...

hi,

My question... is there an easier way to assign IP's instead of installing OS and configuring manually?

if you run containers, you can set up the network configuration during creation.

with VMs, you will need to do the network configuration in the guest.

one alternative could be setting up a DHCP server, and assigning static addresses to the MAC of your VMs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!